Asymmetrical spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2013
Hunter 34 Berthier-sur-Mer
We just bought a Hunter 34, 1985 and there is an asymmetrical spinnaker that goes with it. We are at ease to install symmetrical spinnaker on a Hunter 28.5 but have no experience with an asymmetrical one.
Could someone explain to us how to install it properly for the best performance. We will be sailing her from Michigan Lake to Quebec City, Canada. We will be sailing the great lakes and we probably will use the spinnaker.
We are french, so please explain with easy words. :):):)

Thanks in advance,

Danielle (temporel)

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Get a "sock" with "snuffer" for it and fly it from the spinnaker halyard. A block at the foot of the forestay for its tack line and using the cheek block at each aft end of the deck with the jib car should do it for hardware.

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter Passage 450 Lake Lanier, GA
How long can these sails be left exposed to the elements...Mine is on a roller but has no UV cover and I hate putting it up and taking it down? What do cruisers do with these sails? I cannot imagine having to deal with the set up and take down while on a passage.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Spinnakers are usually made of 'rip-stop' NYLON ... which is easily damaged by ultraviolet - UV.

In strong sunlight the nylon will begin to degrade 'immediately', especially the white, then green, then red, then finally the blue/black colored sections.
Several 'weeks' exposure to strong sunlight UV can cause considerable damage and weakening of the nylon fibers.

The best advice is always remove a spinnaker when not using; even 'sun covers' can transmit a small bit of sunlight through them into the UV unstable nylon.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Danielle...when you bring up the site, click on Products and then on Tracker. There is a video demonstration of what you are looking for.

Apr 2, 2013
Good morning Doug / Karen,

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Have a very nice day,

Danielle

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Danielle,
when you bring the boat back, contact me by private message and I'll give you my phone number in Montreal. I can meet you at your boat when in Montreal area this Spring and explain it all to you in French. Bonne chance with the trip !

Apr 2, 2013
Merci Claude

How do I write to you in private on this site? I could give you both my email and my boyfriend's Germain.

Someone sent me a video that is very clear on how to use it. What we need is where to fix the good parts we would need to use the SPI cause we think that it never has been used before. In french would be clearer to us. :)

We won't wait 'til Montreal to use the SPI but it was very nice of you to offer your french help :)!

Je te remercie beaucoup de ton offre.

Bye Danielle

Status
Not open for further replies.