asymmetrical Spinnaker

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Any Oday 302 owners have asymmetrical spinnaker or other light weight sail. Looking for any information on size and rigging specific to the Oday 302. Photos of current setup would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not an O’Day owner but the information you seek can be found.

Checkout this data source.
Where the size for the ODay302 asymmetrical is specified.

Rigging an asymmetrical is also available as the 302 is rigged pretty much the same as a Catalina 30 or a Cal 35. Or pretty much like every mastheadsloop made.

You need a Spinnaker Halyard preferably on a mast Crane.
A tack sheet that can be run to the cockpit to adjust.
Finally 1 or 2 sheets to control the sail. These run outside all of the rigging to the stern. Then you turn the sheets into the cockpit using a block. You secure the sheets using a cleat or a clam cleat.

Enjoy the sail. They are a lot of fun.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Great information jssailem, exactly what I am looking for.

Not sure on tack sheet, Oday 302 does not seem to have good options. I have seen the roller furler used but not sure that would be a good.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Here is another site that has sailsize info. I don’t know how accurate it is but yet another place to start.

I’m not sure what you meant by “roller furler”. Perhaps you already know this :) but the tack of an asym can be attached numerous ways.

1) Ideally the tack is connected to a bowsprit
2) A connection via the existing hardware on the bow (anchor roller etc)
3) Something like the ATN tacker that lets you use your furled headsail.

There are asymmetric furlers typically called “top down” that let you douse and deploy the sail.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Thanks, yes I was referring to the ATN tacker, didn’t know what it was called. Not much of a bowsprit on the Oday 302. No hardware or room forward of the rolling furler. Not sure if the ATN tacker was a good option.

Oct 22, 2014
If your bow roller is securely attached to your boat, then it might be usable. That is what I have used.

I adding a length of shock cord to raise the tack block above the anchor on the roller.

Bow sprits are nice. Not absolutely necessary.

Oct 22, 2014
My sail came with an ATN tacker. Worked as advertised.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not sure if the ATN tacker was a good option.
Here is a link to the product.

I have used the ATN tacker and found it was a good solution for me for what I was trying to accomplish. The boat I had at the time came with a symmetrical spinnaker with spin pole etc. I realized I didn’t have the skill or enthusiasm to rig all of that for singlehand use so I bought the ATN device. It worked OK in light wind but I was always a bit concerned when the wind got stronger or the sail would rapidly inflate. Lot of force in one area of the forestay. :) Notice in the ATN video there aren’t any whitecaps! ;)

There are a number of threads on here about how others have connected to their bow roller or added an aftermarket bowsprit.

I would also suggest you think about how you will be using the sail, number of people to handle it etc.

This type of sail is really a lot of fun and can turn a downwind slog into a challenging sailing adventure :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Note that the ATN Tacker is not a tack attachment as it does not hold the tack down to the bow. Its purpose is to control the location of the the tack near centerline but you still need to run a line down to a strong point with a block attached. I attached to my anchor pin.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
All great information, this helped tremendously. Appreciate all the responses.

I have a shackle just aft of the roller furler that I could connect a block or anchor pin.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I have a shackle just aft of the roller furler that I could connect a block or anchor pin.
Just mind the possible line chafe to the furled foresail with that position.
Enjoy the spin, and douse before the wind pipes up!
DAMHIKT

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
just aft of the roller furler
That might not be a problem for the ATN but the “logic” is to have all of the attachment points “forward” of the existing bits leaving enough space so the flying sail doesn’t snag on something. :)

If you think of the upper and lower attachment points for your forestay/headsail, the deck and the mast forming a right angled triangle ; you need to have the flying sail “connected” farther forward than the existing hypotenuse of that triangle.

If you don’t have it “forward” you could potentially launch your new flying sail but then have it wrap around, catch the existing bits and have a scary mess to deal with.

This is a link to a thread that might help answer some questions. Or google
Pip Hare

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
You might try our method: I take one wrap of the rack line around the top rail of the bow pulpit to windward and forward of the vertical support, then secure the snapshackle on the toe rail. If I attach it in rail hole closest to the bow, the tack is free so the spinnaker can lift up and belly out when the wind is aft of the beam. If the wind is forward of the beam, and I need a tight luff, I pull it down, and attach it farther aft on the toerail.