Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I'm thinking on adding an asymmetrical spinnaker to the my 310 with a dousing sock.

If the tack of the asym is attached to the anchor spit, is there enough room between the forestay and luff of the asym to allow the clue to pass for a smooth jib? Normally you see these used on, say a J105 with the poll protruding much further out than our anchor spit.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Here is what I did

I have a drifter I recycled from my old boat, so it is a bit on the small side. When I want to use it I tie the bag on the outside of the bow pulpit. I have a line attached to the tack that I hook onto the ring just aft (couple inches) of the furler. I have extra lines that I lead aft to small blocks on my stern rail to reduce the angle of the lines coming to the winches (much easier to handle). I use my spinnaker halyard to raise the head. I have a sock that I also kept off of my old boat, but my drifter is small enough it is easier to just stuff it into the bag when I take it down. Since I used a line to attach the tack it flies just forward of the pulpit away from the furler and genoa, but I do not fly them together unless the genoa is already out and I take down the drifter before doing anything with the genoa and furler. Normally when I use it I am in really light air where even the genoa can't be poled out and provide any use.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
So, right before you jibe you release the foot of your drifter out to allow more clearence between the rolled up headsail and the passing clue of the drifter?

May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
I fly an asym on my 310, I use the "tacker" from ATN which attaches one corner of the chute to the rolled up Jib and them attach both sheets to the other corner, just make sure you run all lines, outside of the forestay, works like a champ and no pole to deal with.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Don't do nothin ...

but move it over as the sheets are plenty long and the rope I have that attaches it is long enough to pass outboard of all that stuff. As long as I don't screw with the furler while the drifter is out I am good.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Witzend
Photo 1 My asym with a ATN sock.
Photo 2 My ATN sock and bag are for sale.
Photo 3 My asym on a RollGen.
Photo 4 Asym attached thru anchor bale to cleat.

paulj:troll:

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Paul, On your rollgen, what furler are you using, and where did you purchase the Asyn?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Witzend
The Asym and the ATN sock and Tacker came with the boat.
I don't have the Tacker any more because my grandson performed a float test with it.....it does't float.

I can't find the name of the dealer who sold me the rollgen will have to look in files.
Try these guys for some help and buy a Rollgen.
I met with them at the Vancouver BC boat show.
There is a big differance in Canada vs USA dollar ......

At your service, and
Best regards,
Paul Hrabowsky
Ocean Sailing Enterprises Inc.
www.oceansailing.ca

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Paul, how did you get the halyard reeved to it's current route? Mine extra halyard comes out next to the jib halyard?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, I was wondering if the asym halyard was being interfered with. What about butting a block where the exit plate should have been to provide fair lead?
So, your asym halyard was already run through this exit plate? I may have a plate, but there is certainly no halyard reeved through it.
Looks like for this mod. I would have to un-step the mast, add the bracket and reeve a halyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.