Asymmetrical spinnaker sheet configurations.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus

How do folks rig their AS, with specific reference to sheet/block/winch/cleat configurations. My H34 has the stock genoa cars, and also came with a pair of snatch blocks. My 3/8" sheets seem wimpy for the application. I think I've finally developed a feel for my boat, and want to move on a bit before the season ends. Thanks.

Attachments

T

Terry

Hi Marcus, some good information on asym...

rigging on this site. Check the sail section. I used 7/16 sta-set throughout with Lewmar blocks on our P42. Place the clew sheet blocks as far aft and outboard as you can. I connected mine to the stern end of the toe rail and use the genoa winches for trim. I mounted the tack sheet block to the anchor roller with the sheet secured at the bow cleat. I purchased all my rope from Sailnet.com. Saved alot of money compared to WM. Each clew sheet (2) needs to be twice the length of your boat. Halyard about 30 feet longer than the stick, if you want to control it from the cockpit. Hope this helps and have fun. Terry

A

Alan

Terry

I think you mean that the halyard needs to be 30' plus twice the length of the stick. Two and a half times the stick height is the norm. You might find that 7/16 line is a bit big for this application. Normally the loading on an Akite sheet is not very high so buy what is small enough to comfortably handle.

M

Marcus

Thank you, gentlemen.........

....I'm beginning to see the light now. The PO of the boat left some pieces of hardware and taped markings that defy explanation. Too bad I can't talk with him directly.

T

Terry

Hi Alan, no, the asym halyard only needs to be...

the stick length plus a few feet (ten) to tie off to a boom or mast cleat, or long enough to run to the cockpit (30 feet in my case). The clew sheets need to be twice the boat length, but large enough to handle in your hand as well as fit into the self-tailing winch. You're right as far as load goes, but 7/16 inch line is almost too small to fit the self-tailing genoa winch on the P42. Why would you need a halyard twice the stick length? Terry

T

Terry

Hi Alan, your are right. Please realize I bought..

the right amount (130 feet) before I turned sixty. Now that I'm over that I'm eligible for senior moments, which happened with my reply to your post. This afternoon was my running day and I got to thinking about your post and my reply to it and laughed. Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused. The next time you visit Semi-ah-moo stop by and have a Corona with me. Terry

A

Alan

Terry,

I just read your second post and had to chuckle!! I could just see the lite illuminating in your head. Not to worry, we all get to do these things. Hey, that’s what these conversations are all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.