Asymmetric sheet size?

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
The asymmetric spinnaker that came with my H240 has 3/8" sheets- these have always seemed too heavy for this light sail, even though that is what the manual specifies. I was thinking of downsizing to 5/16", but I noticed the rigging calculator on this site lists 1/4" for the 240 spinnaker sheets. Does that sound like the way to go, or would 5/16" be better?
Thanks for any advice-

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On a 24' boat, the strength of the line will not be the major deciding factor. it will come down to "What do you want to hold onto." 1/4" is plenty strong enough but will it be comfortable to hold that line with a load on it for long? I have 5/16" polyester for my 900 sq-ft asymm spinnaker and am very happy with them. I have not tried 1/4" so cannot speak to how my hands would feel about that.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@Hayden Watson is absolutely correct - it's about the feel in your hand, not whether the line will break. A 1/4" line probably has over 4,000 lb breaking strength, say a 1 ton working load! You will not break this. With a spinnaker, you handle it quite a bit in adjustment.

If you've not spent any time on APS' excellent line selection page, I recommend it: http://www.apsltd.com/line-resources Not an ad, this is just a great guide for a variety of products that you can buy anywhere, including here as SBO!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Of course , you can use a small-as-you-dare size line to connect to the sail. Then a section of larger line that is easier on the hands and winches and such, but only the part of the line that will come in contact with said apparatus.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If they are good core-dependent line (like FlightLine), De-cover the last 15-20 feet or so.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Caverun,
It is the feel as some prefer 5/16 while others use 1/4. That is a good response along with Jackdaw as well. Keep me posted if ever coming back this way. You and your family are welcome.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I got some Marlow stuff last year that is 5/16 and weighs almost nothing. Can't recall what series it is. It's big enough to hold on to and light enough that it doesn't drag the kite into the lake, and the calculator suggests it'll be paid for in another 2 years. :)

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
After spending time on a friends Catalina 25 w/asym we decided on 1/4" de sheathed at the tack with a girth hitched bridle attached via sheet bends. Extremely light.

I don't suggest playing with this w/o gloves but lack of weight/hardware works great in light air.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Don't forget heavy air. Are you inclined to push it? Do you have ratchets on the turning blocks? Can you put it around a winch? Much depends on these factors. If you only fly the chute in lightish air, 1/4-inch is grand.

I use 3/8-inch on my F-24, which granted, is much stiffer, and I like to push it. It is also a very light, floating line; it probaly weighs about as much as 5/16 polyester and the blocks are large enough for 1/2-inch (which would be stupid big), which means it runs fast. Oversized blocks always help. Undersized or even blocks sized to the "maximum line size" are big trouble.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Nice - really like the flathead main. Who built your sail? Did you measure?

Re: hardware - turning blocks to winches or cams on the C25. Don't think they fly their asym above 10 knots.

May 25, 2018
Hunter H240 Hillsboro Inlet
Nice - really like the flathead main. Who built your sail? Did you measure?

Re: hardware - turning blocks to winches or cams on the C25. Don't think they fly their asym above 10 knots.
That is a Doyle Stratis built in New Zealand. My local loft and I measured the rig three different times before I thought I had the rig tensioned properly. Then when we sent the measurements to the Stratis factory they questioned the prebend in the rig before they would build the sail so we measured again. Really worth every penny.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
5/16 works well, we don't use ratchet blocks but will put the sheets on the winch when the wind builds.
Pretty.
For those who may not know, ratchet blocks or winch is "either or." If you use both it probably will not release.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Thanks for all the great input and links- I decided on 1/4" and will see how that works. And I can re-use one of the 3/8" sheets to replace my worn mainsheet- got lucky on the length there. Time to get her in the water!