Asymmetric Deployment with Sock

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2010
Hunter 270 Ottawa
From information I received on a previous posting concerning installing a furler for my asymmetric sail, I now realize that I am going to have to stick with the dousing sock. I am now attempting to find techniques to simplify/speed using the sock as winds are quite variable where I sail, thus resulting in shorter A-Sail deployments & thus more frequent hoists/rehoists. I would appreciate any tips for simplifying the sock deployment process. In particular, I am wondering whether the sock hoisting lines can be extended to the cockpit to minimize trips to the deck and speed dousing & re-hoisting.

Jun 9, 2008
hunter 260 Bakersfield
you can jibe

No need to deploy the sock with each boat or wind direction change. By running you asymmetrical sheets out in front of your jib roller furler you can change direction by a jibe.

You certainly could run the sock control lines to the cockpit. But I only use this sail with a minimum of 3 people on board. The foredeck person controls the sock & assists with sheets & cloth in the jibe.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Setting the Asym

The Admiral and I routinely set and douse our Doyle Asym. Both of us are comfortable going forward to do the dousing while the other tends the rudder and the sheet in the cockpit.

I do not recommend raising the sock or dousing the Asym from the cockpit. The condition and set of the sail is often key in this move, so the one setting/dousing needs to be forward to see clearly what is happening, and take immediate action to get the job done.

If we believe we will use the spinnaker again soon, or we are approaching the dock or anchorage. we secure the bottom of the sock to the toerail. If we are hoisting it again, we secure it abeam the mast. It fouls the slot between the jib and the main there, but the trade -off is that we don't have to drop it.

Since we are cruisers, we usually leave the Asym set for long periods, ending only as winds shift, or increase in strength.

Good luck - this is a great sail for us and adds 15% to 20% to our sailing time while cruising, by keeping our speed up when we would otherwise fire up the "iron genny."

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
No need to deploy the sock with each boat or wind direction change. By running you asymmetrical sheets out in front of your jib roller furler you can change direction by a jibe.

You certainly could run the sock control lines to the cockpit. But I only use this sail with a minimum of 3 people on board. The foredeck person controls the sock & assists with sheets & cloth in the jibe.
I use the sock by myself and my Norwegian first mate Otto Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.