Asymm Spinnaker

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
I flew our spinnaker for the first time on my 1978 O'Day 25 CB yesterday. It is an asymmetrical, so I just attached the tack tight to the bow, hoisted to the top using the jib halyard, and trimmed using my jib sheets. Everything worked fine. However, there was quite a bit of slack to the luff, causing the sail to fall quite a ways off the forestay. I assume this is all normal but wondered if others have tried this? Thanks! Bob in Monterey, CA.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That does not look right. Almost looks upside down or possibly tbe sail is too big for the boat. It should fly like a Genoa. Leading edge is not attached to forestry and will have some bow to it but not that much.

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Thanks, Mark. It is run correctly; the head, tack and clew are all labelled and the sail numbers show up right. But I think the kite is from another boat as luff is too long (tall) for the boat. I tried to shorten the span between the tack and masthead as much as possible but it is still too long. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Something sure doesn’t look right.

I run my tack line down to the anchor roller to get it out in front as much as possible. Yours looks pretty low, but maybe you get it lower if you have an anchor roller out front.

Maybe measure it against your jib and see if the luff lengths are about the same….if the spinnaker is a lot longer, it wont really work well.
Maybe more photos from different angles would help. How high up the mast was it hoisted? I assume your Oday is a masthead sloop my O322. I have a separate spinnaker halyard though on mine…

I flew mine today (probably first time all season)…very light winds so pulled the bag out…

Greg

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't get the tack much lower, or the head any higher, and I will measure it today. It is probably just too big. Cheers, Bob

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
That doesn't look like an asymmetrical spinnaker. It looks more like a "Blooper".

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Ted,
I think you are right. It is triangular in shape and doesn't pull well above a beam reach.
Thanks,
Bob

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Too little sail visible to really identify The issue. Here is a Catalina 22 flying their sail. looks very different from the image you shared.

1632110385087.jpeg

Note the tack is actually higher than the bow. When you are sailing mostly down wind with the wind off your stern quarter the tack is high and the sail is high and out front of the boat.

1632110874372.jpeg

As the wind moves up along the side of your boat towards the 90 degree position, the tack is drawn down towards the bow and the sail is flown more like a very large genoa.
1632111177842.jpeg

More fun to fly, than a barrel of monkeys. Go out and enjoy the ride.

Monterey Bay is a wonderful venue to sail.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Learn something new everyday...........is a blooper is flown to augment a spinnaker as shown below?

1632144221925.png

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like a blooper to me too, though I’ve never seen one in person. But the sail logo at the tack seems to be properly aligned even as the luff is twisted off, exactly as I’d expect looking at blooper pictures.

Aug 25, 2019
O'Day 25 Monterey
Yup, it’s a blooper! Dang, I hoped I had an asymmetrical! When I researching bloopers, I read many funny comments about bloopers, like how old and outdated they are, how hard they are to trim, how they are only a dead downwind sail, how silly they look, and how they may only add about 0.0043 knots to downwind (only) speed. All true, it seems, but since it came with my $1 boat (another story) I’ll fly it proudly!