Asymetrical Spinnaker on H26/260

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I would like to delve a bit deeper into this subject that started on another post (Shroud Connections).

Thank you Jackdaw for your input on that thread.

For starters, I would love to see some pictures showing spinnaker halyard sheave installations on H26 with preference for installations with "in-mast" halyards.

I'm also interested on how the tackline is attached to the bow.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why do you want an internal spinnaker halyard? An external halyard, mounted just above the headstay connector would allow proper clearance and plenty of side to side movement for the spinnaker halyard block. The additional benefit is giving the foredeck crew, that will hoist and deploy, control of the halyard from the mast.... you can still run the halyard aft to the cockpit... but it gives you practical options to run it outside.

Run the tack line through a block attached to the stemhead... run the tail of the line aft so you can control from cockpit.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, there is nothing that you can do with an external halyard that you cannot do with an internal. And internal is cleaner, which is why all new boats do this. Internal halyard runs have exits high enough on the mast so mid-boat crew can jump them at the mast while still allowing them to be tailed in the cockpit; the best combination.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I can't imagine that this bowsprit could work in any wind stronger that 5 knots. What prevents the bowsprit from flopping to port or starboard when loaded? The fittings on the bow pulpit would either twist or break when loaded. I would even question whether the bow pulpit could withstand the vertical lift component. This design looks like it may suffer a potential structural failure in a couple of areas. At a minimum, there needs to be a piece of wire rigging on port and starboard side to take the lateral loads at the tack line.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Maybe @cephius (Dave) could tell us how well it worked for him. And if he has modified his design since posting this to the mods section.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Maybe @cephius (Dave) could tell us how well it worked for him.
Last seen October, 2016.
If he used a type of 'tacker' or parrell beads around the furled foresail, it would help to mitigate the lateral stresses to the bowsprit, I think.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Last seen October, 2016.
If he used a type of 'tacker' or parrell beads around the furled foresail, it would help to mitigate the lateral stresses to the bowsprit, I think.
Agreed that a "Tacker" or parrell beads would reduced lateral loads but they would defeat the purpose of the bowsprit.

Feb 20, 2011
Agreed that a "Tacker" or parrell beads would reduced lateral loads but they would defeat the purpose of the bowsprit.
True. So forget the bowsprit. ;)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I can't imagine that this bowsprit could work in any wind stronger that 5 knots. What prevents the bowsprit from flopping to port or starboard when loaded? The fittings on the bow pulpit would either twist or break when loaded. I would even question whether the bow pulpit could withstand the vertical lift component. This design looks like it may suffer a potential structural failure in a couple of areas. At a minimum, there needs to be a piece of wire rigging on port and starboard side to take the lateral loads at the tack line.
You were reading my mind Ted. While it looks neat and the OP did a good job on the install I am concerned myself how all the structure is in the same plane. While I love to keep things simple and I applaud him for doing just that, I fear a engineer that could explain loading forces and load vectors would be able to sustainiate our fears as why this might be a bit too simple.

Sam

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Fred; If you go with an internal, I would suggest using US Spars blocks to achieve the proper curvatures of your mast. Yes it is Z Spar but parts can be obtained thru forum store or US Spars. Be very careful when cutting holes into your mast. One slip and you just bought another mast. Concur with Jackdaw as that would be a cleaner route but either way you go, have fun.
I never sailed with a spinnaker except for a time or two over the years. One comment to everyone, please do not consider using the bow pulpit in any way for a spinnaker, you can damage it.

Jackdaw, did you get my private message and if so please respond. thanks

Feb 20, 2011
One comment to everyone, please do not consider using the bow pulpit in any way for a spinnaker, you can damage it.
Yeah, you can, if you're inattentive.
Unless you're racing, I see no need for flying a spinnaker when the available breeze will fill your headsail.

Nov 8, 2010
Fred; If you go with an internal, I would suggest using US Spars blocks to achieve the proper curvatures of your mast. Yes it is Z Spar but parts can be obtained thru forum store or US Spars. Be very careful when cutting holes into your mast. One slip and you just bought another mast. Concur with Jackdaw as that would be a cleaner route but either way you go, have fun.
I never sailed with a spinnaker except for a time or two over the years. One comment to everyone, please do not consider using the bow pulpit in any way for a spinnaker, you can damage it.

Jackdaw, did you get my private message and if so please respond. thanks
@Crazy Dave Condon , the PM about the panel? Yes I responded. I think.

Nov 8, 2010
For sure. That mod. while trying to solve a valid problem, is a hot mess. Search, its been discussed before.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The bow rail is not strong enough to support the loads for a kite. It's not the rail, it's the fittings, and the loads transmitted to the deck. Bowsprits are not that complicated, and some creative engineering can realize a functional solution for not a lot of effort. This sprit, minus the Selden ring, and the time to build it, cost less than $100.

IMG_0532.JPG

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
The H260 is designed as a class C boat, sheltered waters. My Aspin was a light wind sail. I never had wind forces on the tack line and block that exceeded the bow pulpit hardware. A lot less strain than when my 300 lbs leaned on it!

If you look at the first photo in my mod post, it shows the new hardware attaching just above the fore stay anchor. If the forces acting on the mast don't pull that anchor out, why would the Aspin tack block.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The H260 is designed as a class C boat, sheltered waters. My Aspin was a light wind sail. I never had wind forces on the tack line and block that exceeded the bow pulpit hardware. A lot less strain than when my 300 lbs leaned on it!

If you look at the first photo in my mod post, it shows the new hardware attaching just above the fore stay anchor. If the forces acting on the mast don't pull that anchor out, why would the Aspin tack block.
Thanks for responding, Dave. Did you modify this design at all after posting it? I still want to add that to my 260. I rarely fly my a-spin but would like to fly it regularly. (I won't post a picture this time. I'm pretty sure y'all've seen it enough by now.)

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Does anyone have pictures of how/where spin halyard block is installed on the mast?