Asymetrical Spinnaker halyard on 35.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2009
Oday 30 Beaverton
Has anyone run a new spinnaker halyard in a 35.5. We are now the proud new owners of a 1992 Hunter Legend 35.5. Survey and final inspection was Saturday. We are very excited to take delivery in May.
There is no spinnaker halyard on it. I have an assymetrical from a previous boat that has a 40' 6" luff which I believe should work for this boat. ??? I do not have access to the boat so was wondering about the halyard I will require and how I will install it.
I believe that it will enter the mast at the base where there is a marked opening and run up to the top around an empty sheave there and then down to a hole located just above the forestay.
1) is there an easy way to run this new halyard from the top to the exit hole at the forestay? The mast is down. I can use the main halyard to run a leader line up to the top. This will take care of that run. I was thinking of using an electricians fishline to go from the exit hole above the forestay up to the top and pull a leader thru then the new halyard. To do this I will probably have to take the cap off of the top of the mast??? Any issues there? Does anyone have a better idea or see any issues I may run into?

2) In the manual they call for a 105' halyard 7/16".
105' seems like it may be too short to run all th way up and down and to the cockpit and allow it to be clipped to the pulpit for easy access. Easy solution is buy it a bit longer I guess. Also 7/16" seems a little overkill for a spin halyard, can I use something smaller or will I risk an issue with the sheave?

Just wanted to see if I could learn from others mistakes. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.