Asymetrical or symetrical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Gautney

I appreciate Tom Turner's desire to make the 23.5 competitive. I have added a larger jib . . .but this is difficult on the 23.5. There is interference from the lifeline and there is almost no suitable place to locate genoa tracks. My jib blocks and cleats are stanchion mounted . . .which is less than desireable. The lifeline and shrouds interfere with the shape of the sail. I wonder does anyone race with an asymetrical spinnaker? The asymetrical I have really picks up downwind speed, but I have difficulty in 90 degree downwind situations . . .it is difficult to run wing on wing with the B

S

Sean Coerse

symetrical

If you are racing in a spinaker class I would go with a symetrical spinaker. I race my H240 in a non spinaker class on the bay. This is the first year and we are usually in the top 5 corrected time. I have a cruising spinaker, but if you race with it you will give up alot to the boats with symetrical tri radial spinakers. I'm curious how you went to a larger headsail since there is no way to install an inboard track for the blocks. By mounting the blocks on the stanchions aren't you giving up a great deal of winward performance by not being able to sheet in?

S

Steven Gautney

Yes . . .windward suffers.

The boat does not point as high . . .but the extra sail area is wonderful. My question about Sym vs, Asym is because I plan to go back to the 110% jib . . .so I can go back to using the deck blocks and being able to sheet-in tighter. I really like the larger headsail . . .but the 23.5 rigging is not complimentary. I would be interested how or if anyone has successfully rigged a genoa on a 23.5. Thanks for the response . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.