Asym rigging on arch for H36

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Two years ago, we had an Asym built for our 2009 H36. The sailmaker rigged the lines, but the Admiral and I are not happy with the tack line control arrangement, which has a Harken combination block and cam cleat attached to the welded termination of our port lifeline.
What we dislike about it is that the Harken piece rotates on its fitting, and this makes it difficult to cleat and unclear the tack line in order to adjust it.
I have taken this problem to a rigger, and together, we could not find an off the shelf solution for securing the unit to the arch itself. His suggestion was that I get a marine metal fabricator to custom create a plate to which we might secure the Harken combo, and weld the plate to the arch.
I have attached a pic of our current arrangement.
Before I go the custom fabrication route (also recommended by a Hunter dealer), does anyone know of a different arrangement we should consider?

Attachments

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we put a turning block on the loop on the arch for the lifeline and ran the guy along the forward side of the cockpit coaming to a jam cleat - on the port side, just like the jib furler line on stbd. works great.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Like ChuckWayne suggests, replace the existing, expensive, block with a single block shackled (get rid of the clamp) to the stanchion..... mount the cam or jam cleat on the coaming... even better if it's near a winch. Use that expensive block for something else... maybe hoisting tackle.