Asym off a Sprint

Mar 11, 2014
Right Brainer... You asked for photos of the Asym I installed on my Capri. This is a standard rig, Wing keel. These photos show the Asym, and one with the Zero and one with the zero furled.

The Sprint extends 3 feet off the bow when extended, as such the J joes from 8 to 11, when not in use can be positioned all the way in. Like you, I have this boat rigged to short hand it. As such, I fly either the Asym or a zero off of it with a Furler. This is a Facnor fx 900. To fly the Asym I built a swivel to use on the furler to allow it to furl top down as Facnor didn't offer one for the fx900 plus the cost of one from Profurl was more than the cost of the furler in the first place. Given this is custom, I had both the zero and the Asym custom built. The Zero will fly about 50 to 100 degrees apparent, while the Asym will fly 90 to 140. The former is about equivalent to a 200% and the Asym is about 400 Sq Ft. I never had a spin for this boat so wonder how that compares to the size of a stand spin.

I just got the Asym so really have only had it out twice. need to get some one elses photos of it flying. But it does get her going from what I can tell.

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I'll say it...
VERY COOL!

The Code 0 and the Asym will get you nice speed at hot angles. However, nothing beats a Symmetrical DDW. For short handed, I like your solution. I'd have killed last year to have your solution, most of our races never had a true upwind leg, or a true downwind, so it was a riotous reach fest, and a code 0 to asym switch would have had you first for sure!

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Thanks for a great post...I now have serious sail envy! Do you have any pictures of how the bowsprit is rigged and operated? I've never seen a setup like this up close.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I'm with right brainer - how's the sprit work? Is it one of the selden ones the Catalina store advertises?

Mar 11, 2014
I was hoping I'd be able to fly it this weekend and then take picture to post, but rain is what's in store for us this weekend...

The Pole is a Selden, CD does have it (http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... it-kit.cfm) But I got it else where as I wanted to work with a rigger to figure out how to install it. The pictures will show you how its mounted. While not required, I added a Bob stay attached to the Trailer hitch just incase the wind pipes up... It lines up centered when extended and retracts so its down't run the risk of stabbing something when docking. One of the photos shows the Continuous furler line run aft. Installing an automatically retractable bow sprint that you'd find on a U20 or J70 seemed to be way over kill to me...

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Once again, VERY cool... Easy, and goes fast... nothing wrong with that.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Reviving an old thread...

@drewlamparello - Would you mind describing your top-down swivel system a bit (the one the tack attaches to)? I'm planning to install an FX-900 as well, and it looks to me like Facnor doesn't make a tack attachment swivel for the 900. They make swivels (branded as 'FAST') for the larger FX furlers (FX-1500, etc.), but the FAST 1500 is too large for the jaws of the FX-900. And for a 22-footer, an upgrade to the FX-1500 would be (expensive) overkill.

From your pics, it looks like you might have a custom solution?

And since I'm just learning about these furling systems: If I understand correctly, I don’t need a swivel for a Code 0, but will for the asymmetric spinnaker (I.e., the code 0 furls uniformly along its straight luff, while the asymmetric should start at the head and leave the tack free until most of the the luff is furled).

Mar 11, 2014
You see the picture from July of 2014 I posted above. That is the custom solution I came up with to turn my 900 into a top down furler. Effectively I got a Shaffer CT 500 Top swivel, a piece of SS tubing that fit inside it and drilled some holes to mount shackles in the tube, Then got a length of Anti Torque Line and there you go. I used the Swivel from the 900 to attach to the top of the anti T line so that it would allow the line to wind with out twisting the spin halyard.

If you need a length of the line, the most expensive part, let me know... Call Schaffer maybe they have a demo swivel the will sell you cheep, that's what I did.

the Asym is tied to the Top of the Anti T line, by attaching it to the thimbles you'll need to end the line with a Shackel that will attach to the FX Swivel and the bottom of the Asym is connected to the outside drum of the Schaffer swivel. The tube transmits the turn from the drum to the Anti T line with out turning the bottom of the asym since its tied off to the outside of the swivel which is free.

let me know if you have questions.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Ah - got it. It was obviously a custom solution, but I didn't recognize it as based on a top swivel. Good thinking on getting a demo from Schaefer - I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks also for the offer on AT line. We decided we'll start with a code zero first, so don't need the line or swivel yet, but will if and when we decide to add an asymmetric as well. I'll bug you then about the AT line.