Assemetrical

DannD

Apr 8, 2021
Hunter 306 Halifax
Hello
Has anyone put a spinnaker on their Hunter 306?
I am thinking about a assemtrical. I would like to know others experience. I would like it in an snuffer(sock) or even on a curler. In addition I was thinking I would need to install a couple of winches but the life lines maybe an issue. Thank you in advance for you answers.
Dan

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Fun experience on a Hunter 32 and 386. For your boat you will need a size 2, 463 sf ft asymmetrical spinnaker per Spinnaker size for a Hunter boat? | iSpinnakers Since you have a fractional rig the spinnaker halyard will not interfer with your head stay. As you suggested, you can use a sock OR top down code zero asymemetrical furler with a continuous line to the cockpit. You will need turning blocks on each side of the boat near the stern, as shown in the diagram below, to run the sheets to your existing jib winches. You will not need dedicated winches or a pole.

You might this thread on Hunter 306 helpful How to install spinnaker halyard on Hunter 306 | SailNet Community

1617892352764.png

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020
Hunter 30G Nanaimo
A reputable sailmaker will size the spinnaker based on your rig dimensions. Cruising asymmetrical spinnakers are often 170% and cut for wider wind angles as opposed to 180% sails designed for a narrower range. You get what you pay for in furlers and socks. The ATN sock or other similar with the fibreglass mouth are the best and work well even in tough conditions.
Furlers are costly of you are only going to fly the sail occasionally and will probably require a 2-1 purchase on the halyard to get sufficient tension and be mounted ahead of the headsail furler.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I'm a new owner of a 306 and have been wondering the same thing after finding an asymmetrical spinnaker in my sail inventory. I found this old post that may be of interest:
Spinnaker for 290?

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Hunter 306 571 Westernport Vic
Now that we've had our 306 for a season, and LOVING it, I'm ready to try out the assym that came with the boat and I discovered this thread. Fortunately we have the sail, and I think what looks like a sock for it, and the halyard fitted (we imported the boat from a broker in the US to Australia so the previous owner is not available to us). From the above posts and links I assume I can attach a block to the U fitting low down on the arch and run the sheet from the block back to the cabin top winch. Do you actually attempt to tack these sails or simply set them on a long run, then sock the sail and reset it once on the opposite tack? It seems like a lot of sheeting to run up and back. Thanks for any insight.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do you actually attempt to tack these sails or simply set them on a long run, then sock the sail and reset it once on the opposite tack? It seems like a lot of sheeting to run up and back. Thanks for any insight.
Definitely don’t tack the spinnaker - it will foul on the mast and spreaders. It should be possible to gybe it though. Some boats prefer to have the spinnaker gybed inside the forestay, and some outside - it depends on where the head and tack are. If the halyard and tack point are in front of the forestay an outside gybe will likely work better. To do that you’ll need to have the last sheet run around the front of the forestay ahead of time. If you sheet the main in tight the spinnaker should stay pretty full while you turn downwind, then pull the kite across, come to your new heading, and let the main out on the new side. An inside gybe is a little simpler if your rig allows it - more like a typical jib gybe.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Hunter 306 571 Westernport Vic
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a closer look at the tack point but I'm assuming for now (given where the halyard exits the mast on this fractional rig) that it will be ahead of the forestay and therefore an outside gybe.