asking for information about new sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andres campoy

I'd like to ask 23.5 owners what type of main sail ang gib would they buy for racing? woul they use any special material and what about the siza of the gib 120%, 130%, 140% or even 150%

N

Neil

New F235 sail(s)

I got quotes from about 6 sailmakers in early Feb for a new main for my F235. I need it for club racing on an inland lake - usually with light winds. I will order from Elvstrom-Sobstad (in early April). Their quote was in the middle of the price range (about $1100). I got a very lukewarm response from North (they didn't seem very interested in the job), a slow reply from Doyle (but probably a reasonable alternative), and very high price from UK Sailmakers (I can't remember the others right now). I didn't enquire about a jib. I'm not convinced that a full-size (155%) jib is the fastest way to go on the F235 - ask your sailmaker if a smaller jib (~135%?) is more efficient on a fractional rig boat like this. Neil

G

George

Sails

I put a roller furler on my 235 2 years ago and a Pentex headsail. It seems to be doing well. Pentex is an intermediate material in both cost and strength. It is better and more costly than Dacron but not as good or as expensive as Kevlar, etc. I am still running my few years old Dacron main and although the leech gets a little hooked when I have to tighten the leech line in stronger air because the sail is getting a bit blown out, I still do okay racing with it. You should join the Yahoo 235 group. It is just 235 owners talking about stuff. I just happened to come back to this website looking for something else and saw your msg. The website is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau235/ George

Status
Not open for further replies.