As a new sailboat owner, I haven't noticed mooring covers on sailboats at marinas............

May 29, 2021
MacGregor 26M Georgian Bay
It would seem to me to be a good idea! Any places to check out a mooring cover for a 2000 MacGregor 26X?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I was envisioning a cap on a mooring ball... LOL. :pimp:

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I remember using a boat cover on a motorboat at a dock years ago, to keep it clean and dry when I could only go out on weekends, but I can't imagine it is necessary with a self draining sailboat cockpit or how you would maneuver around it at a mooring.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Besides it being a PITA to open and close every time you want to use the boat they would interrupt the natural breathing of the boat which would create a mildew problem.
Most sail boats don't have upholstered seating to protect.
It would be nice to keep bird poop off the deck but you would have to contend with a bird pooped cover which would be a mess too.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My concern is to keep the boat from getting "chalky" from exposure to the sun.
That is quite commonly done with inflatable dinghys whose fabric can be fatally weakened by long term exposure to the sun - especially in southern climates. You'll see dinghy "chaps' applied for that reason.

I've seen some smaller boats on moorings with what I might term "rain covers" (usually over only a portion of the boat), but not in my experience on sailboats of any size. If the idea is to protect the gelcoat from sun damage you should do that with a good coat of wax (which you don't do with an inflatable dinghy). You WILL see some people covering their varnished teak with (often custom) sunbrella covers. But for the most part I only see full covers when sailboats are on the hard. Others may have different experiences.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Here you go: Full deck cover to use for both trailing and mooring. Lies flat over the deck for trailing and can be drawn up for water runoff while mooring. Has 5/16" elastic shock cord in the hem to hold 6" under the rub-rail, tie-down points, heavy duty nylon zipper, mast collar with drawcord closure, and flaps that snap around stays. Reinforcements are at back corners, fairlead areas, cleat areas, and splashrails. Does not fit over the boom when boom is in crutch with mast up. Store boom in cockpit. To use cover over the mast for trailing requires that the mast be no higher than 15" above the deck where the mast steps and no higher than 3" above the transom. $1042 plus options.

MacGregor 26M Trailing/Mooring Cover -- One Design Sailboat Covers -- The Sailors Tailor, Inc.

1623963643793.png

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
They are challenging to put on when you can’t walk around them. Breathing wise. My wakeboard boat has a custom cover made from sharkskin brand fabric ( cheaper and sunbrella) and it breaths amazingly well. It’s put away wet on the boat lift and has never has a mildew problem.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The sailboat cover in post #9 can be purchased with multiple vents to ensure adequate circulation. Moreover, the cover can be put on in a shallow area near shore or ar a dock and then moved to the mooring by your dinghy or other means that is convenient.