Article in July SAIL magazine, praises the Alden Challenger.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
And includes some good shots of my boat CHRISTMAS of course. I try to tout the Alden Challenger as the wonderful coastal cruiser that it is. I think it is too little known as a design and hope articles like this will increase awarness of these great boats.

I think (hope) we are in a renaisance of sorts in recognizing the artibutes and beauty in these older designs witnessed by some new designs, the new large daysailers as an example(Hinckley, Morris Fountaine), that is drawing recognition to boats like the Challenger.

I enjoy feedback from other Challenger owners. Are there other points and specifics about your boats that should be mentioned in future articles? Feel free to let me know.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
SAIL article

Picked up a copy of SAIL at B & N yesterday. Nice article Tom. I think I've seen that photo of your daughter before. My wife liked the lede. We wondered if the portrait of you was a self-portrait (you got all the photo credits).

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks David, that shot was on a timer.

SAIL magazine demands pictures of people sailing. That's their style. Crusing World like less people in the shots. They all like our Alden Challengers though.

I use a scrap of wood with a 1/4" bolt through it for a stand. It's stable on the cabintop, aft deck box or on the deck like that shot. I use a simple small digital camera and take alot of shots, many blind by feel like the one of my daughter. Steering with my arm outstretched under the lifelines and the camera just inches off the water, I take alot of shots and get a few good ones. I also lost a camera to the sea this way.

Unlike Susan, I'm an amatuer but love photography. I'm enjoying this lightweight equipment, no bag of stuff. Limited with little lense capability I have to find the shots but it makes up for it with alot of shots I never used to get.

Did you see the great 2 page photo by Allison Langley of her husband and stepson sailing a small boat in Denmark? She lives around the corner, I really admire her work.