"Around the world" sailing with O'day 34

yves

Dec 11, 2014
Oday 34 belfast
Does anybody an experience sailing an O'day "around the World" ?
Is it feasible ? What kind of "additions" are recommended ?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Was waiting for others with real blue water experience to answer you. IMHO like most production coastal cruisers, the O'Day although well built was not intended for ocean crossing. You are also talking about a 30 year old boat so a very through survey would just be a startibg point. It has been done but ofcourse a lot depended on the weather.
I'm very confident my boat can handle much more than I can but out in mid ocean in a gale I'd want something a lot heavier and built for the purpose.
If you ever do, pack some Guiness and we'll celebrate.
my 2 cents.

Last edited:

yves

Dec 11, 2014
Oday 34 belfast
Thanks Larry :)
I'm a bit surprised, the boat seems to me solid.
But it is through, my Surveyor wrote me "The Oday was never designed, built, or equipped for “blue water” sailing. The scantlings are light, the spade rudder is tender, the rigging is under sized, the hatches and portholes are not suitable ...".
As I can see, you rather confirm :redface:

My main concern is about the solidity of the hull stiffened with a tabbed molded liner and the deck with Balsa coring and molded non-skid texturing.
Is that through, it is ... light ?

Sep 23, 2009
He is right about the scantlings. The thickest hull measure i have found is 1/2 inch at most. For comparison the thinnest measurement on a friends falmouth cutter is a full 1 inch.
Compared to other production built coastal boats, the ODay is very well built. The decks are not cored with balsa but with plywood which is stronger and more tolerant of water leaks.

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
I brought my 34 Oday "JALOHA" from Ft. Lauderdale to Colonial Beach, VA. It took about 15 days, with most of the travel inside on the ICW. For the few legs that I went outside, I must say she handled well in the storms, but I dont think I would venture around the world. With only a Yanmar 30, the travel is quite slow.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Was waiting for others with real blue water experience to answer you. IMHO like most production coastal cruisers, the O'Day although well built was not intended for ocean crossing. You are also talking about a 30 year old boat so a very through survey would just be a startibg point. It has been done but ofcourse a lot depended on the weather. I'm very confident my boat can handle much more than I can but out in mid ocean in a gale I'd want something a lot heavier and built for the purpose. If you ever do, pack some Quiness and we'll celebrate. my 2 cents.
hey I read about a guy sailing a ten foot boat across the pacific from japan once. I think it was Web Chiles who took a coastal cruiser (Ericson?) around the world . He did fine until the hull cracked and he spent many hours every day bailing. At 11500 pounds the O'Day is built on the light side. MaineSail's 36 I think he said was 16000. The O'Day 34 won the Marion to Bermuda race one year, about 700 miles. I've gone offshore from block island to virginia beach for 4 days in 30+ knots of wind and did OK. I wouldn't take it around the world. The bulkheads would need bonding to the hull for one upgrade.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
MaineSail's 36 I think he said was 16000.

She's kind of a pig, 9600 pounds on the front straps and 9300 on the rear straps or approx 18,900 pounds. This scale had recently been "calibrated" but they are still never 100% accurate.

No Spar or Boom
No Sails
No Standing rigging
No Furler
No Running Rigging
No Fuel
No Water
Empty holding tank
No cushions
No gear
No dodger
No bimini
No solar panel
No pots & pans etc...

Just an empty boat!! Rigged and ready to go she weighs in closer to 20k..

A C-36 that was launched two hours later (I used to own one) weighed in at approx 4000 pounds less (same scale) but had gear and boom and sails etc. on-board but I don't know about fuel & water...

Would I have taken my Catalina 36 around the world.? No..... Would I have taken it to the Caribbean? Sure..

Would I take my CS-36T around the world? Construction wise, absolutely. Comfort wise, perhaps, but I'd like something a bit more roomy. Course she's already been almost around the world, without me. ;)

For me, an O'day 34, nope, not without some serious modifications......

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thanks for the correction MS. What is the original specification for your yachts displacement? I'd hate to think it has absorbed almost 4000 pounds of water into the laminate? Yikes. Maybe that is just the weight of the ice coating up there in permafrost country?
Never mind I looked it up as follows: Were you on the boat while it was in the scales? Perhaps that was a factor? :>)
Boat Name
Black Pearl

Dimensions
LOA: 36 ft 0 in
Beam: 11 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 6 ft 7 in
Displacement: 15000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 38 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Westerbeke
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 411
Engine Power: 38 HP

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I wouldn't set out around the world in ours

but I can tell you a few upgrades that have made our coastal sailing much more pleasant! Lead the main halyard, vang and outhaul (minimally) back to the cockpit. Replace pin stop traveler with a functional traveler. Replace all the original mainsheet blocks with ball bearing blocks. Rig a cunningham. I still need to figure out the best way to get our reefing lines to the cockpit - that would be important in my opinion for any long distance sailing. As an aside - I have re-cored a lot of our cabin top and deck area and have removed lots of wet balsa - no plywood.

Scott

Sep 23, 2009
As an aside - I have re-cored a lot of our cabin top and deck area and have removed lots of wet balsa - no plywood.

Scott[/QUOTE]
I haven't opened my cabin top but the area around the portlights and the cockpit area by the rudder post access cover are plywood on my '84. Surveyor claimed other O'Days he has seen all had plywood too. Where there variations in year or different factory locations?

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Those are areas I have not addressed, and I don't know if there was variation from year to year. My next areas to tackle are the cockpit sole and the side decks around the genoa tracks. Probably just going to deal with the cockpit this winter. I have done the complete cabin top from forward of the mast back to and alongside the storm hood as well as the coamings under the primary winches.