Area of concern for Beneteau's?

tenui

Aug 6, 2021
Beneteau 32 Rock Hall
Sorry in advance if this is not the right forum but I thought I would start with the folks with the most hands on/practical experience. I'm looking to purchase a Beneteau. I'm awaiting the professional survey but noticed this area of concern. The picture is at an odd angle but it is the port side stern looking down at the transom/scoop. The picture shows the stern fairlead and the hull/transom/deck joint. It is a 2004 boat. The crazing isn't of too much concern but what looks like the glob of 5200 and the crack below the fairlead looks significant. Is this a common issue/problem?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

1628298163473.png

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The picture shows the stern fairlead and the hull/transom/deck joint. It is a 2004 boat. The crazing isn't of too much concern but what looks like the glob of 5200 and the crack below the fairlead looks significant. Is
I have noticed gel coat crazing in same area; I am not concerned about it, hasn't changed in nine years. Cant comment about the crack below the fairlead without seeing it up close & personal; however, the "glob" of sealer is simply 5200/4200 that is used to adhere the rubber rub rail at the hull /stern joint. That is about as elegant as it is going to be. If you suspect something hiding under the sealer, I dont think that an owner is going to allow removal of the sealer & rub rail to inspect further. Be sure to bring the crazing issue to the surveyor; however, it is going to be tough trying to see the inside area underneath the back stay attachment. Good luck with your survey; hope it all works out.

tenui

Aug 6, 2021
Beneteau 32 Rock Hall
Thanks Don and BigEasy! Yeah, I am not concerned with the 5200 and sealing the rub rail. Much more elegant than "duct tape" or JB Weld. Its the crack under the fairlead that's the concern. Its no "catalina smile" but didn't know if it was a problem prone area. I did not get a picture of the other side for comparison but will.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
BigEasy is correct. That glob of sealant just fills the end of the joint between the rub rail and the hull to deck joint. My boat looks the same, and I do not believe the material is 5200.
As for the gelcoat crazing, that appears to be from a corner impact right at the rub rail that could have occurred from something as harmless as hitting a dock or similar. The crazing emanates from that corner and not from the backstay chainplate. (that’s not a fairlead).
My boat, also a 2004, has gelcoat crazing in various places, and when I had my insurance survey done in May, the surveyor simply commented that the crazing was there, not unusual, and not structural. Every boat I have ever owned, power or sail, has had crazing somewhere.