Are you willing to share an unflatering story...

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Mostly they do try to take care of us guys. It must seem like a waste of time to them at times.
My wife read this over my shoulder and burst out laughing. She said, “It’s like tilting at windmills!”

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Don't you have a great big drawer full of Steri-strips? Most of the stitches I've had, I felt like, would have healed better, less scaring, with a liberal application of steri-strips. Once I found out about those, I felt ripped-off by the ED's that stitched me up before that.
You should keep several boxes on hand. Those and Coban wraps. Multiple roles. We found the ones we bought for our horses were a lot cheaper.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Well, I never plan on getting hurt so I don't keep them around! The last time with the stitches they put dissolving stitches deep in the meaty part of my hand and steri strips on top-like surgeons do. I was pulling the transmission out of my truck and sliced it nice and deep on a frame rail, I wanted to just put butterfly bandages on the cut, then the voice of reason spoke up "you're being an idiot, let's go to the hospital."

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wanted to just put butterfly bandages on the cut, then the voice of reason spoke up "you're being an idiot, let's go to the hospital."
That "voice of reason" got me two scars on the back of my hand. Actually, a chisel on one occasion, and a bowsaw on another occasion, are what got me the scars. They are both right next to each other and demonstrate the difference between a hack clinic doctor and a competent and skilled ED doctor. You can hardly see the one done in the ED where as the one done in a convenient clinic looks like Mary Shelly wrote the suture guide the guy had to leave the room to read in the middle of stitching me up. He also had to make a "consultation" call to another doctor. While poking me over and over again with a pin to try and make it bleed more. "Just want to make sure you hadn't nicked an artery."
Steri-strips would have been fine, but I was young and had never heard of them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
That "voice of reason" got me two scars on the back of my hand. Actually, a chisel on one occasion, and a bowsaw on another occasion, are what got me the scars. They are both right next to each other and demonstrate the difference between a hack clinic doctor and a competent and skilled ED doctor. You can hardly see the one done in the ED where as the one done in a convenient clinic looks like Mary Shelly wrote the suture guide the guy had to leave the room to read in the middle of stitching me up. He also had to make a "consultation" call to another doctor. While poking me over and over again with a pin to try and make it bleed more. "Just want to make sure you hadn't nicked an artery."
Steri-strips would have been fine, but I was young and had never heard of them.

-Will (Dragonfly)
This doctor was pretty good, I did it in February and the scar is less noticeable than almost all of my older stitch and surgery scars.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Don't you have a great big drawer full of Steri-strips? Most of the stitches I've had, I felt like, would have healed better, less scaring, with a liberal application of steri-strips. Once I found out about those, I felt ripped-off by the ED's that stitched me up before that.
You should keep several boxes on hand. Those and Coban wraps. Multiple roles. We found the ones we bought for our horses were a lot cheaper.

-Will (Dragonfly)
My first aid kit has a bottle of super glue (the gel kind) for deep cuts and a pack of redman chewing tobacco for bee stings and ant bites. :waycool:

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
My second outing as a boat owner, first outing with the family, ran aground outbound still within sight of the marina. My marina has a long, straight, dredged channel to get in and out. We were motoring out, my daughter (4) was between me and the wheel, Kodak moment. Then I realized we weren't going anywhere. We had gotten offline outside the channel. My nephew and I got into the water. I was able to dig out the bottom of the rudder with my toe, pivot the stern toward the channel and back off.
We were aground about an hour. Lots of boats went past during that time offering sympathy and encouragement. I changed the name of the boat at the next haulout.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My story is of the SS Minnow! I crewed on a 60 foot Ketch on the first leg of a 5 year around the world retirement cruise. I joined the crew in Norwark at dawn to motor through the East River with the tide (up to 7KNS current). All is well until the captain askes me to take the wheel while he turns on the refrigeration compressor to top off the freezer. He didn't read the manual that said not to run the compressor above 1100 rpm, we were at 2200. Off of the South Street Seaport smoke began rising out of the companionway and the engine was shut off to douse the fire in the burning compressor. I was left to sail injh about 4 KNTs current with only the maim and close hauled. Thankfully missed the pier by more than 20 feet. TOO CLOSE!
We got going under power and headed to the Narrows between Staten Island and Brooklyn. Once past the Verrizano Narrows Bridge, I ask the captain for the chart and was told he had no charts, they are all on my computer, which was not on and wouldn't boot because the battery was dead. I brought a hand held GPS with me (being an engineer) and got it up and running in time to see the channels through the shallows of the bight. We headed to a channel next to Rommers Shoal when the captain takes the helm and immediately takes a short cut into the shoal for a hard grounding. Coast Guard shows up along with the tow boat. All off the boat to lighten it with the CG holding the towers at bay to perform an inspection. We were able to back her off the shoal and get going.

We had a lovely sail south on the way to Bermuda for the first port when a hurricane alert from our private forcaster told us to avoid Bermuda so we headed to Chesapeak Bay. At this point the captain again starts to take a short cut across what my GPS said were sholes. At that point the crew physically forced the captain off the helm and put min below. Mutiny I think it is called. We headed back to the channel and approached a marina where we released the very pissed captain to dock his boat. The slip assigned was too narrow and in trying to dock, we crashed into a 100+ foot sailboat. The captain tried to run so we took control again (two mutinies in one day) and docked the boat. All the crew but one left the boat, rented a car and returned to NY.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sounds like a typical delivery. Well, maybe not the physically removing the owner from the helm. But the one I was on had us 100 nm from shore with an engine that needed to be shut down every few hours to add fluids. Sometimes it started again - sometimes not.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's not like I don't have plenty or don't want to share, but I haven't come up with the right one yet.
I wouldn't want you all to think I was perfect or anything. lol

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Or, I wasn't on this one - Thank You Lord: C&C 25 MK V (I still sail on) moving from Chessy area to LI East End. After the East River and in the LI Sound tornado warnings were issued. The happy go lucky crew didn't know until the Coast Guard radioed them the told them to get off the water. They had to anchor off the CG station (CG couldn't let them dock) in Little Neck or somewhere when the boat was raked by violent T-Storms. Of course they had no dingy so they couldn't land. No provisions. They had some snack food and had, or course run out of beer. They spent the night huddled in the cabin (Oh and they were at least five) trying to stay away from anything metal, on a 27' boat, if that makes any sense. Lucky if they got Fritos for breakfast. But they love to tell the story and they lived.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I love that poem, 31.
Thanks for sharing that adventure in such an entertaining way.
It was not a good day but the reading was fun.
I shall remember that story to my very last day.

-Will ("Doggerel artist", Dragonfly)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you can abide my poetry
Oh yes, I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
Oh... and, er... interesting rhythmic devices too, which seemed to counterpoint the... er... er...
counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the... er... humanity of the poet's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other.
And one is left with a profound and vivid insight into... into... whatever it was the poem was about!

hat tip- Douglas Adams

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Oh yes, I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
Oh... and, er... interesting rhythmic devices too, which seemed to counterpoint the... er... er...
counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the... er... humanity of the poet's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other.
And one is left with a profound and vivid insight into... into... whatever it was the poem was about!
Don't forget to confront the post-modernistic deconstruction of the self juxtaposed against postfoundational paradigms of obligation and authority.
:cowbell: