Are there any 146 owners out there? *5

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
- - Sydenham Lake
I recently bought a 146 and like it a lot. More tippy than my previous CL16, but also quite fast. Added a small block for outhaul (needed a twist shackle), a wind pointer on the mast and some ticklers. Also bought a mainsail cover to make rigging very fast. Anyone else any comments?

J

Jim W

Own one, like it a lot also

I was beginning to think no one on this forum had a boat as small as mine. I really like the 146. Lots of fun. I added a Harkin single line reefing system over last winter. First thing this Spring at Lake Anna, had the reef in leaving the dock and then took the reef out for lack of much wind. Then got hit by what must have been a 30 kt gust. Live and learn. The 146 has two stable positions mast up and mast straight down (turtle). Needed help from a motor boat (Ugh). I now have a float at the end of my mast. Also learned the value of wearing (I was) a PFD when single handling (actually probably always a good policy).

Jun 4, 2004
- - Edmonton, Canada
...and another 146

I had a CL as well but the 14 foot model. I have yet to set up the rigging (took delivery last September but winters are cold and long here in Edmonton...actually I've just been tied up with other stuff), let alone go for the maiden voyage But I do like the open cockpit and wide beam and hope to get on the water in the next week or two. I hope it's not more unstable than the aforementioned CL-14 as I do have young children and liked the fact that the 146 was designed as a stable, dry boat which is what I require to sail in the shoulder seasons at my northern latitude. Good luck with your new boat.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 146 New Orleans
me too - fun boat

Good to hear from other H146 owners. I find the boat to be weight sensitive, but responsive. I guess it's light weight makes it so. I haven't capsized yet, but did have a passenger on the leeward side fall out, heels over head, in a gust. Fortunately they were wearing a PFD and laughed it off. There was trouble reboarding the stern. It takes a bit of upper body strength to pull oneself back on board. Reminded me of sea lions climbing on rocks at the zoo. Bought a rope ladder for help. Did anyone install hiking/toes straps?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 146 ludington mi.
first sail 146

light wind ...lots of learning ....will look forward to reading more accounts from real sailors... pete

Jun 2, 2004
- - Vancouver, WA
Love the 146, Hate the owners manual

My 146 is my first boat. I agree that it is weight sensitive but when you weigh 300+, what isn't? I've found that it makes great headway even in light breeze and a 4 knot current. The owners maunal, though, left alot to be desired. It was mostly describing the 140 and looked as though it was published on a cheap copy machine.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 146 ludington mi.
xraypete

i agree the manual left alot to be desired !!!! the weekend befor my maiden voyage i spotted a hunter 146 at a dock on the inland lake ... i found the owner..made a friend... and got the help the manual diden't provide!!! can't wait to get her back in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.