Are keel-stepped masts a thing of the past?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Even though deck stepped masts typically have a structural column under them, I've always found keel stepped masts to somehow be more 'intrusive' in the living space. I'm not sure why, perhaps they need more space around them to facilitate pulling the mast when needed.
Designers can disguise the compression post with bulkheads and furniture making it less intrusive.

Keel stepped masts always leak. Rain will come in through the many holes in the mast and run down inside. Sealing the mast at the partners can be challenging. Mine always leaks a little in heavy rain.

The design advantage to a keel stepped mast is the ability to use a lighter more flexible mast which has some advantages with reduced weight aloft and ability to bend the mast to shape the sails.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'll conclude that keel-stepped masts are incorporated in modern design. But I still find it curious that it doesn't seem to be important from a marketing standpoint. For instance, I looked at the current Tartan website and I could not find one reference in any of the models whether or not the masts are keel stepped. They did advertise carbon masts and a few photographs and a few layout sketches show a keel-stepped mast. But there was no mention anywhere of this design feature ... not even in the specifications that were presented for one model. It simply may not even be important enough to mention ... or it's just assumed that shoppers would know somehow?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I like my deck stepped mast. I always found it impossible to keep keel stepped masts from having some water infiltration - I really like a dry boat.

Even though deck stepped masts typically have a structural column under them, I've always found keel stepped masts to somehow be more 'intrusive' in the living space. I'm not sure why, perhaps they need more space around them to facilitate pulling the mast when needed.
I agree. My compression post is basically a 4" diameter lally column and is nowhere near the cross-sectional size of the mast. From a structural standpoint, it is doing exactly the same thing as a keel-stepped mast but with less cross-sectional area.

Actually, I was a bit surprised that the carbon masts on Tartans could be keel-stepped. Carbon poles are great for unidirectional loads, but I thought they fold easily around a bending moment such as at the deck partner. But, I'm sure they have that figured out.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Compression Post is on the main structural Beam which is good Design by Hunter.

Compression Post.jpeg

Jim...