Are golf cart batteries better than marine batteries

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I replaced 4 GC 6V batteries with 4 12v lithium to save weight on the port side (heeling), not only giving more amp hours but also steady power/volts over the GC batteries. The voltage is steady above 13.2 which makes the freezer perform better and other devices that require a steady power/voltage supply.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Another consideration (YMMV) is the lug factor. The golf-cart battery is lighter. If you have to lug the batter up over a gunwale, then down a companionway ... lifting and carying two smaller 6V batteries (one at a time) might be a real plus over a single (heavier) 12 V.
I'm going to need a crane to get my 4D's off the boat ... But I have lifted both of them out of the compartment and back in on 2 occasions. I really don't want to do that again so LiFePo4 is the next step.

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
As you can tell from the responses, golf cart batteries are known to be a preferred option for many. I don't know if they work on our boat without significant modifications. As I said in an earlier post, the battery pans are obviously located under the stbd settee and there is limited vertical clearance. I know the 6 volt batts are significantly taller than the standard 12v sizes. I imagine that is how they pack in greater capacity in a limited footprint but it doesn't always work for boat layouts, which are not typically designed for the 6v battery configuration.

I think somebody suggested that their 6v batts are at least 11 inches tall. I don't think we have the vertical clearance under the settee. You can reinvent the wheel regarding the layout, but that may not be worth the effort.
interesting. I will have to do some measurements and see what batteries will fit. I'll let you know

Aug 7, 2023
For many of us, sailing is our lifetime pursuit. :cool: A saying I heard a long time ago that always stuck with me goes like this "Skiing is not just sport, it's a way of life". The same goes for sailing. If you don't relish the homework, what is the point?
Well I'm sure people have boats for many reasons, and relishing the homework is often not one of them.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well I'm sure people have boats for many reasons, and relishing the homework is often not one of them.
You'd be surprised. The ones who don't enjoy working and maintaining their boats either have very deep pockets and pay others to do the work or they don't do the work with their boats decaying in a POS that are close to worthless. Which group do you want to be a part of?

Aug 7, 2023
You'd be surprised. The ones who don't enjoy working and maintaining their boats either have very deep pockets and pay others to do the work or they don't do the work with their boats decaying in a POS that are close to worthless. Which group do you want to be a part of?
surely there is a middle ground .my choice is to work smart. Ask a trusted expert which batteries are good for my catalina 320 and put them in without reading books or doing hours and hours of homework.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
surely there is a middle ground .my choice is to work smart. Ask a trusted expert which batteries are good for my catalina 320 and put them in without reading books or doing hours and hours of homework.
Hey Ted why don't you update your signature to show Catalina 320 instead of catalina catalina so we don't have to keep asking you what boat you have?

Work smart or work lazy and have others do all your homework for you and then have the temerity to complain about the replies? Sure...

Your boat, your choice . :)

Aug 7, 2023
Hey Ted why don't you update your signature to show Catalina 320 instead of catalina catalina so we don't have to keep asking you what boat you have?

Work smart or work lazy and have others do all your homework for you and then have the temerity to complain about the replies? Sure...

Your boat, your choice . :)
There is no reason for me to reinvent the wheel when I don't have time for it. Don't recall complaining about replies???.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There isn’t a one-size fits all answer. A lot will depend on how you use your boat, and your energy needs when off shore power (if you are not at a mooring).

Som we can ask a lot of questions and make recommendations that work for each of us, but there is no one right answer.

When I wanted to replace my old group 27 12-volt “deep cycle” batteries, I read a lot here, and on Maine Sail’s site to get ideas on what would work for me.

I wanted top value for the $$ I was going to spend and I wanted to use my existing charger and alternator.

So for me, the best option was 2) 6-volt GC batteries from Sam’s Club (around $100 each).

Wiring them in series gives me 215 AH at 12-volts. I am on my 3rd or 4th season on them. I do water them as needed, and I am on shore power when not sailing. But I have gone out on a few 3-day, 2 night sails and the batteries are still holding up well. I don’t have any solar on Tally Ho. I run a refrigerator most of the time while on my overnight trips.

i don’t have a separate starter battery at the moment. I will add a 12-volt battery at some point, but so far, I haven’t needed one with my house bank.

So, YMMV and you need to read the comments and suggestions and decide what is right for you. I don’t think anyone intends to be confrontational (even if it sounds like it sometimes). Folks are trying to offer suggedtions, but only you can decide what is best for your boat and your specific situation.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. The group here at SBO is very active and you will get responses!

Cheers,

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Wrong question. No one in the world knows what is the best battery for you Catalina 320. Period. Don't believe anyone who says I know what battery should go in a Catalina 320.

The factory sticks in the cheapest biggest battery they can find to keep cost down and marketing bravado up. Often their choice is entirely wrong for the way in which the boat is going to be used.

The choice is yours, you can educate yourself about your boat and how it works and what it needs and make informed decisions or you can hire someone to help figure out what you need or you can whine about no one telling you what you need. Way back in the beginning of the many threads you started, people pointed you in the right direction so you could learn about your boat and its systems. So far I have seen no evidence that you have spent any time trying to learn and understand your boat. Instead you proclaimed you don't want to read and learn, a comment I have trouble understanding. Are you just lazy? Do you prefer being stupid and uninformed? Or do you just want somebody else to make your decisions so you can blame them and not take responsibility for your boat and your actions? Help me understand your intentions.

Aug 7, 2023
There isn’t a one-size fits all answer. A lot will depend on how you use your boat, and your energy needs when off shore power (if you are not at a mooring).

Som we can ask a lot of questions and make recommendations that work for each of us, but there is no one right answer.

When I wanted to replace my old group 27 12-volt “deep cycle” batteries, I read a lot here, and on Maine Sail’s site to get ideas on what would work for me.

I wanted top value for the $$ I was going to spend and I wanted to use my existing charger and alternator.

So for me, the best option was 2) 6-volt GC batteries from Sam’s Club (around $100 each).

Wiring them in series gives me 215 AH at 12-volts. I am on my 3rd or 4th season on them. I do water them as needed, and I am on shore power when not sailing. But I have gone out on a few 3-day, 2 night sails and the batteries are still holding up well. I don’t have any solar on Tally Ho. I run a refrigerator most of the time while on my overnight trips.

i don’t have a separate starter battery at the moment. I will add a 12-volt battery at some point, but so far, I haven’t needed one with my house bank.

So, YMMV and you need to read the comments and suggestions and decide what is right for you. I don’t think anyone intends to be confrontational (even if it sounds like it sometimes). Folks are trying to offer suggedtions, but only you can decide what is best for your boat and your specific situation.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. The group here at SBO is very active and you will get responses!

Cheers,

Greg
thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
thanks for the help I appreciate it!
Please update your sig line, also.

FWIW, our House Bank is a pair of Trojan T-145 deep cycle batteries, and we do not need a separate "starting" battery for our 3 cylinder diesel.
We do have a separate emergency 12 volt AGM battery, tho. Just in case the main bank dies on us while we are out somewhere.... this was very handy once when a prior house bank died during the night while we were out cruising.

Aug 7, 2023
Please update your sig line, also.

FWIW, our House Bank is a pair of Trojan T-145 deep cycle batteries, and we do not need a separate "starting" battery for our 3 cylinder diesel.
We do have a separate emergency 12 volt AGM battery, tho. Just in case the main bank dies on us while we are out somewhere.... this was very handy once when a prior house bank died during the night while we were out cruising.
do you keep the emergency battery all wired and charging? do you controller with the main battery 1, 2 , switch? thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is no reason for me to reinvent the wheel when I don't have time for it. Don't recall complaining about replies???.
Also, there is no reason many here should take the time to or be expected to provide redundant, repetitive advice to someone unwilling to take it. Believe it or not, we like to “work smarter” too.

Aug 7, 2023
Also, there is no reason many here should take the time to or be expected to provide redundant, repetitive advice to someone unwilling to take it. Believe it or not, we like to “work smarter” too.
when you ask a question and get many well-intentioned but often contradictory responses there is no obligation or even possibility to take the advice.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
After researching, yep, batteries, I was going to go the 6V route to replace my group 31 flooded batts. The number I needed were too tall to fit in my battery space so I went with AGM.

Jan 11, 2014
when you ask a question and get many well-intentioned but often contradictory responses there is no obligation or even possibility to take the advice.
Please identify the contradictory advice you have been given? It's your boat, you need to take ownership of the problems you are facing. Boats are not like cars, there are many options for most issues, you have certainly been provided with options and directed to resources so that you can make an informed decision about what is best for your boat. Instead, in one form or another you have consistently said that you don't want to make the decision and you don't want to do the work to learn how manage and maintain your boat.

Frankly, you are wearing out your welcome, because you keep asking us to tell you what do to, which we can't, we can only give options and opinions about the one option you have considered. It past time for you to take on some responsibility for your boat and your decisions. If there is something technical or functional you don't understand then ask the question and show that you have done some research on your own.

• Helpful
Aug 7, 2023
After researching, yep, batteries, I was going to go the 6V route to replace my group 31 flooded batts. The number I needed were too tall to fit in my battery space so I went with AGM.
interesting, do you remember how tall the 6 V batteries were?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Hey long time listers, why are we even bothering to meet Ted's needs. Let's close this subject and move on without him.