Are folks buying sailboats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I've bought & sold more then a few sailboats over the years & I can guarantee you that that the keys to selling a boat are this: if you want decent moeny then it must LOOK GOOD. It does not have to be in good mechanical condition or even that sea worthy (I'm sure that yours is), but if it looks like crap, expect low ball or no offers. The first importance is waxing the hull & painting the deck if they look rough. 2. All boat manufactures know this: cabins sell (or don't) sell boats. It has to look like you'd want to spend some time below, unless the boat is strictly for racing such as a Melges, etc. Get your cushions cleaned up & stitch any holes, etc. Better yet, the best money spent is in recovering them. Even if its just cheap wallmart fabric, do it. Nothing looks better then recovered cushions. It makes a tired cabin look new. You don't have to buy expensive Sunbrella etc. because you're selling it. Who cares if it starts to get foxing spots after 6 months? It won't be yours to worry about anymore. You've replaced your engine, which is a major plus. Use the electric powered motor as a major selling point: no gas to buy & no maintenance other then charging the batteries! Who could ask for more on a day sailer? Haven't seen your photos yet, but take a look at my before & after photos on my album. The proof is in the sale.
Every boat I buy I do these same things: hull waxing, sand & refinish all teak, bottom job, engine & trans. oil change, replace all thru hulls & questionable plumbing, replace batteries, replace cushion covers unless they look good (which is never - hah). A small GPS unit is a major selling point for novice navigators, & the admiral. A working stereo a big plus.
If the boat is not visibly appealing, then it just won't sell to any serious buyers, other then low ballers. Good luck & let us know how it goes.
ps. I try to never be an owner of more then 1 boat at once. Its easy to buy 2 & get over your head with maintenenace & slip fees. I always remind myself, you can only sail one at a time. Cheers.

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
We sold our freshly restored C22 in only 5 days. Made a little profit, but, we only made a profit because we bought the boat for next to nothing. It went to a couple from NY who lost their boat in SS Sandy.

We bought our C27, that was on the market for ??? long, for $6.5k. 1984 fin keel, edson wheel steer, M18 diesel, standard rig. I think I paid a fair price.

Like real estate and airplanes, I think the market is rebounding, VERY slowly, but I don't see it ever returning to where it once was. At least not for the next 4 years or so...

You think boats are bad...try the airplane market... I have seen aircraft on the market for over 5 years!

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 27 Guntersville, AL
Apparently they do sell! I recognize my new boat. I bought dj2210's catalina 27 a week ago. We are motoring it down the Tennessee river this week to it's new home in Alabama. We found it on SailingTexas since it was a little out of our local region. The boats are generally better quality there. But we also were watching Craigslist. It seemed to me that most of the boats on sailboatlistings.com are old listings. Can't wait to start sailing.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
My C27 has been up for sail since last July. Considering I've put way more $ into it than I'm asking, I've only had one serious looker and several calls. Anybody else having difficulty selling their boat?
ps. Where are you advertising your boat? I've always had good luck with Craigslist & sailboat listings.com. The more good pics you post & specific details the better.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Thanks for all the input. As NP stated the boat did sell through Sailing Texas. Sad to see it go but happy to see it being used again. The C27 is a great boat!
Doug

Mar 1, 2013
Cal 20 Detroit
I have a a couple friends one sales boats the other planes and they both said the same thing. They can sale the high end stuff and the cheap stuff. It is harder to sale the mid grade stuff.
When I was looking for mine I noticed many of the boats that were not shiny did not sale. They were great boats just notflashy. My buddy with planws does the same new seats glass and paint. Expensive but they sell

Status
Not open for further replies.