Archwires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2010
Hunter 38 Almere, the Netherlands
Having installed solar-panels on my bimini, I would like to run the electrical wires through the arch. Drilling a hole topside in the archtube isn't difficult.
However, these wires obviously have to come out at the foot of the arch, preferably the one that's bolted to the deck above the port locker. It will be awkward, to say the least, to drill inside this locker. So the big question is, will I be drilling just through polyester, or is the archtube welded on top of a solid steel plate. My Hunter 38 doesn't have a cockpit-light and loudspeakers installed on the arch, so no cables are running through these archtubes.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
On my 38 there is already a hole on the arch right dead center at the top. I do have the light and speakers and its under that. Check in this area first before drilling.

On the lower end, there is an access plate starboard side in the aft cabin above the headboard of the bed. If you open it you will see that you are right at the base do the arch and you should have a hole for wires there already.
I ran additional wires for a gps and AIS antenna using an electricians fish tape.
Required just a bit of finagling. Had to insert tape in the hole at the top of the arch and push it down to aft cabin, tie a messenger line to it, pull that up to the top of the arch. The take fish tape to a aft cabin and tie to other end of messenger. Pull fish tape up to hole, attach wires and pull back down to aft cabin.

Wasn't at all difficult a few trips up and down the stairs

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Wires

Just for info but my 07 H-36 has the hole in the port side rear arch tube so maybe before drilling into the stainless which is tuff but maybe double check
both sides of the arch tubes by just drilling a test hole into the fiber glass and check for a hole.
But most likely I think Hunter must make that hole in the stainless when making the arch I would think.
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.