Arched helm seat

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
After a 3 day sail from Quantico VA to Norfolk VA I have to question why such a torture device as an arched helm seat exists and what sadist thought this was a great idea?!? lol, it's not quite that bad (well, almost) but I'm curious to know what alternatives or solutions ya'll have come up with? I tried just throwing a seat cushion on top but it still wasn't quite satisfactory. Give me some ideas.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
While I empathize with you, the thought occurs to me that if you actually sat there for three days, you might want to buy an autopilot. I actually like them when beating to wind.

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
While I empathize with you, the thought occurs to me that if you actually sat there for three days, you might want to buy an autopilot. I actually like them when beating to wind.
I agree, auto pilot is definitely on the list, along with a few $1000 in other items I'd like for the boat lol.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
It depends on the degree of arch. O’Day 322's have a nice gentle one. The stern bench can still be covered by a cushion. It gives the helmsman a good high view when upright and a horizontal perch on the side of the arch when heeling. I’ve seem some however that look like sky jumps.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have often wondered what the point of an arched helm seat is. Never made any sense to me. Seems like just something to fight sliding off of.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I can attest that a quality AP is a blessing. Ends the "Tyranny of the helm."
But there needs to be someone on duty at or near the helm.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Well if you can't see the value of the arched helm seat, what are your feelings on the sloped helm deck that allows you to stand on a FLAT SURFACE when heeled?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I honestly don't see the connection. Sloped deck is so that a helms person can stand on a flat surface. I don't know if it even does that. But what does the arched seat do in that regard? If your butt is on the up slope you are facing leeward. And have to turn your head to look forward. Is that more comfortable? If you are facing forward, it seems like your hip is up against the hump. Is that comfortable? While at anchor, mooring or dock if you want to stretch out back there your legs will be elevated in relation to your butt and feet will go numb from lack of circulation. Is that comfortable?
I don't get it.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
On a port tack ( this is when the wind is over the port rail) and the boat is carrying a heel to starboard you have several options. 1) sit on the high side. with an arched helm seat you would be sitting almost level. 2) sit on the low side..nice little niche to plant yourself to see under the headsail, 3) wedged deck... allows you to stand on the low side with a flat surface for your feet.. Of course none of the above works on a starboard tack...:p

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One of the POs of Bella bought a full compliment of BottomSider cushions for the cockpit. It included one for the arched seat. It's pretty useless since it doesn't conform to the arch curvature. If I use it, it's only in the slip where I don't have to worry about a COB (cushion overboard).

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I could never own a wheel-steering boat without an arched helmsman seat. The raised center gives you some chance of seeing ahead of the boat while seated behind the wheel, while the curved sides become flat seats when the boat is heeling...

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I could never own a wheel-steering boat without an arched helmsman seat. The raised center gives you some chance of seeing ahead of the boat while seated behind the wheel, while the curved sides become flat seats when the boat is heeling...
As I think about this subject, the most comfortable and most functional helm arrangement I've ever seen was not an arched seat, but the arrangement on the J Boat cruising models, which I have experienced on a 28/C, a J34/C and a J40. The area behind the wheel is flat with no coaming. You sit at deck level so visibility is excellent, with space for four adults behind the wheel, one helmsman has plenty of elbow room. Plus the helmsman can operate both the jib and main sheet winches while seated...

Attachments

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
That's an interesting setup, how does it feel when you're heeling?
Its actually quite comfortable, as the side decks are angled. In the photo the boat is heeling perhaps 12 degrees or so and I am sitting upright. At higher heel angles you can brace your feet against the pedestal base. There's even room for the SO to slide in next to you for some togetherness time, while beating upwind.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Sounds like a nice trip! My boat has a slightly different take on sitting at the helm. One feature I really like about the Islander Freeport 36 is the helm seat, another great idea from Robert Perry. The seat is removable but quite sturdy. The cupped shape helps when heeling although when sailing upwind it's nice to sit down on the leeward side and watch the telltales.
20190831_145612.jpg

Here is a mod someone made to make it a director's chair :D This might help with more heel although I often sit with my feet to the side on the bench seat so I don't think I'll do this one.

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
Sounds like a nice trip! My boat has a slightly different take on sitting at the helm. One feature I really like about the Islander Freeport 36 is the helm seat, another great idea from Robert Perry. The seat is removable but quite sturdy. The cupped shape helps when heeling although when sailing upwind it's nice to sit down on the leeward side and watch the telltales.
View attachment 186055
Here is a mod someone made to make it a director's chair :D This might help with more heel although I often sit with my feet to the side on the bench seat so I don't think I'll do this one.
That looks very comfortable, my cockpit isn't setup quite like that but I'm sure I could fabricate something similar. Thanks for the idea!