Arachnid wars!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This has probably been discussed an few times but here's a product update -
I have been so fed up with the webbing and sacs in my cockpit every weekend. It's somewhat embarrassing when we bring guests out. Last weekend I sprayed all of the typical places they appear. This weekend the problem was about 90% less than usual. I used a spray from a company recommended by our home exterminators. It seems to work really well !

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks for the tip, Justin. The spiders around Sandusky Bay on Lake Erie are terrible, and I have the same situation. Spider mess and webs all over the cockpit after a week away (I only visit the boat on the weekends). Another good product is Ortho Home Defense, which tends to last me anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks between applications, depending on precipitation.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I also use the Terro product. It seems a bit more environmentally friendly than other products.

One technique I've used is sit in the cockpit around dusk, and when the little devils drop down give them a quick shot of the Terro.

The college I went to was right on the shores of Lake Ontario. In the fall the building was crawling with spiders. Being the inventive sort we discovered that a spray can of Right Guard and a lighter made short work of the spiders and webs as they were incinerated. This is no longer a practice I recommend, but when you put 200 18 year olds in the same building.....

From living on a lake and dealing with spiders, I found early intervention is the key. If you can rid the boat of parents early in the season there are far fewer baby spiders in mid season.

Normally I am not in favor of the wanton destruction of critters, however, there are many places near my boat that would make perfectly fine habitat for spiders and they are more than welcome to move there, live and prosper catching flies, mosquitoes and other insects.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
What amazes me is they get on my boat on a mooring 500 feet from land. I've read they launch themselves from treetops and ride the wind on streamers of web. Must be many more hit the water than the boat, but we sure get them. I'll try the Terro.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I’m of the opinion that we go after the ones down at boom and deck level, but they are also up in spreaders and rigging. So, they just keep dropping down. Like others, I’ve found that if we do “spider patrol” at dusk, we can get 40-50 of them, and by Sunday evening there are few left to find. That was when we were up in Lake Erie (Sandusky and Lorain). Now, down here in St. Croix we actually don’t have them any more. None on the mooring, and only tiny things occasionally in the Marina. Another blessing compared to Lake Erie (aside from all the obvious advantages!) is there are only 8 Seagulls on St. Croix. I counted them.

Last edited: