Aqualift valve repair

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving,
At the end of this season, the petcock drain valve on my Aqualift fell off. It was apparently rusted out completely. It did, however, manage to plug the hole and resulted in absolutely no leak.
I'm planning to replace it as a winter project but do have a question.
Has anyone replaced theirs and if so, what if any were some of the problems or tips you can offer? I am planning on opening the plugged hole, perhaps rethread and install a new petcock. Seems simple enough. But, I'm sure there will be something to complicate this "10 minute job". Any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Ralph

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's more of a threaded plug than a petcock. People keep thinking the "handle" on what looks like a petcock valve actually is "inside" something bigger, and they should should just be able to unscrew the "inside" part. Take another look, the "petcock" part is just a small "handle" for the big entire threaded plug. Your ideas make sense. Good luck.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
It's more of a threaded plug than a petcock. People keep thinking the "handle" on what looks like a petcock valve actually is "inside" something bigger, and they should should just be able to unscrew the "inside" part. Take another look, the "petcock" part is just a small "handle" for the big entire threaded plug. Your ideas make sense. Good luck.
Thanks Stu.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'd call them. There appear to be a couple of models.

I'm not sure you can "open" it u to get in there?

1574621218303.png