Aqua Lift and Black Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 38 Long Beach
What exactly goes on underneath that box? :confused:

While doing some work, I noticed a small trickle of water coming from underneath the box. I guess I am claiming ignorance as to the source of water. Is that downstream of the impeller, after cooling, then out the transom? If so, can one drain that box to work on it in the water, or does it have to be on the hard? I think there is a petcock aft on the box, is that the drain source, and if so, how much is in there?

I know it is a long list.... Thank you in advance for tackling this one! :)

What can of worms am I opening here.... ?

BTW: 1991 Cat30 MkII

Sep 18, 2009
After doing a search on this site, there are several posts about the aqua lift. However, what I am looking for is some type of schematic as to what is inside the box.

Can I drain that from the valve and remove it? If it is a leak, it sounds as though it most likely is a crack that can/ could be fixed with epoxy. I suppose I am looking for a 'step by step' process.

Thanks,

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Aqua Lift Muffler

After doing a search on this site, there are several posts about the aqua lift. However, what I am looking for is some type of schematic as to what is inside the box.

Can I drain that from the valve and remove it? If it is a leak, it sounds as though it most likely is a crack that can/ could be fixed with epoxy. I suppose I am looking for a 'step by step' process.

Thanks,
I just replaced the original muffler on my C-30 with a small Aqua Lift. It has two pipes on the top and a drain one side at the bottom.

The design is simply one pipe goes to the bottom and the other stops just inside the box. These black boxes are fiberglass and can be fixed easily. First make sure the leak is not at the drain plug which is the easiest to fix. If the leak is on the bottom, pull the box and re-glass where it is cracked. The box may be full of water but can still be drained out the drain plug (I do this when I winterize. When the system is operating correctly, the box will only get ~half full.

Good luck!

Jim

Sep 18, 2009
Is this the correct step then, to remove the box?

1. Drain from petcock valve.
2. Remove inlet and discharge hose from top of box.
3. Unscrew/ bolt box from base, inspect, epoxy damaged area(s).
4. Replace.

Am I missing something here? Seems simple enough, and thats what scares me. :confused:

Thanks,

Feb 7, 2010
Hardest part for me was getting the box clear of the connection coming off the exhaust manifold as it is a short piece with not much room. My box had the entry pipe on the fiberglass box cracked off and had been repaired a few times. The vibration from the engine has to be handled by the short length of rubber hose. If I could locate what they call a hump hose in 1 1-2" I would have used one there to take the vibration.

When I installed the new box I disconnected the manifold "Pipe" (just two bolts) to give more flexibility. You'll just see it's a tight fit in there. You'll probably also remove the hose coming off the thermostat to get an opening big enough to get the box out.

Feb 7, 2010
Search under Aqua Lift. There are many posts that cover this. Also see that Catalina Direct sells the hump hose. Good Luck, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.