Apollo Ball Valve Failure

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
After trouble shooting why my macerator wouldn't pump, I determined the discharge through hull ball valve is inoperative. Specifically, although the handle and shaft turn with some resistance, the ball does not and remains in the closed position. So, since I have an overboard discharge and a pump out service, it isn't a big problem. I have seen how a diver put a toilet plunger over the intake in order to replace a though hull instead of having a short-haul. That prospect makes me a bit concerned since I think it's going to take some serious work to get the ball valve off. Has anyone done that? The valve in question is dead center in the photo with the handle bent for clearance. (Please, no nagging about ball valves, "proper" through hulls, etc. This lasted 26 years in the worst possible environment, so an Apollo is going back in.)
0828201352a_HDR[1].jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
(Please, no nagging about ball valves, "proper" through hulls, etc. This lasted 26 years in the worst possible environment, so an Apollo is going back in.)
Don't send someone out to "whack me" for saying this, but is that a galvenized cast iron elbow I see in there ?

Elbow.jpg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rick- I would strongly advise against attempting replacement of the valve in the water. The BIG problem is that it is very hard (read nearly impossible) to remove the valve without turning the thru-hull itself. If the thru-hull turns then the seal is broken with the hull. Now you have to haul and remove the thru-hull and re-bed. I removed and replaced the larger valve on the galley sink and while trying not to let the thru-hull turn, it did. So if you think you are really lucky, and Neptune tends to smile upon you, and you think you can get wrenches large enough to hold the thru-hull in place in that tight aft cabin head, go for it. You might want to have a 3-4" water pump on deck and fueled up and have the fire dept on speed dial in case you need back up pumps. Oh yes, be sure your insurance is paid up and that it covers gross stupidity.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Apollo valve can be rebuilt in place without the standard "turn to remove".

You can buy the replacement parts kit, do the diver trick, undo the packer, change the ball, seat, etc, keep your bent handle, and it is done.;)

Jim...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI

You can buy the replacement parts kit, do the diver trick, undo the packer, change the ball, seat, etc, keep your bent handle, and it is done.;)

Jim...
I had no idea this could be rebuilt.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008

Jim...
Wow! I'll research this for sure!
Rick- I would strongly advise against attempting replacement of the valve in the water. The BIG problem is that it is very hard (read nearly impossible) to remove the valve without turning the thru-hull itself. If the thru-hull turns then the seal is broken with the hull. Now you have to haul and remove the thru-hull and re-bed. I removed and replaced the larger valve on the galley sink and while trying not to let the thru-hull turn, it did. So if you think you are really lucky, and Neptune tends to smile upon you, and you think you can get wrenches large enough to hold the thru-hull in place in that tight aft cabin head, go for it. You might want to have a 3-4" water pump on deck and fueled up and have the fire dept on speed dial in case you need back up pumps. Oh yes, be sure your insurance is paid up and that it covers gross stupidity.
This is exactly why I decided against trying it!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am sure glad I did a short haul. While hanging in the slings over night, I removed and replaced 2 thru hulls that I thought were possibly still good, but age concerned me.

One just spun in it's hole, turns out it was not solid (secure) in the hole.

The second one (which I thought was in good shape) came apart in my hand as I started to turn it. The pink color to the threads leads me to believe it had been leaching zinc at some point in time. It was hanging on by a thread and a prayer.
Failed ThruHull Valve1.jpg Failed ThruHull Valve2.jpg

I think I got all that this valve could give. Replacement was just in time.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While I do like and recommend bronze sea cocks in general, our boat came with the older RC Marine Marleon valves, and back in the 90's I replaced them all with the newer Forespar series 93 sea cocks.
No problems, and it's nice not to have to worry about electrolysis.
...Another case of more than one correct answer to the problem...

Last edited:

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Like FastOlson, I moved away from bronze after dealing with a similar issue with a bronze seacock in favor of the Forespar Series 93 marelon. And before people jump all over us - the Series 93 do NOT have the problems of the standard Forespar marelon seacocks which swell, stick, and break their handles. The two are entirely different designs. My Series 93 move as easily as the when they were installed 6 years ago with no maintenance or lubrication - I simply "exercise" them every six months by opening and shutting them three times. Sure bronze is stronger than marlelon - until it isn't.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
I considered the series 93 Marelon valves. Only problem I had was sourcing the product. Not available in all the usual haunts.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I considered the series 93 Marelon valves. Only problem I had was sourcing the product. Not available in all the usual haunts.
FYI, they have them on this site.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I noticed that SBO has an impressive array of valves, tailpieces, mushrooms, etc available under "plumbing". Here's an example: Valves and Seacocks

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Rick. When I needed two 3/4” thru hulls, I could not find them. It is nice they are available today.

Mar 17, 2018
Hunter 40.5 Angra dos Reis
I have just hauled up my boat for hull painting and so. As I tried my first valve, the through hull turned, so I stoped. No water came in... All the through hulls had quite some margin of threads before the valve. So I cut them all with a grinder. And I fitted the new valves on the remaining length of through hull. I installed Groco, no Apollo in Brazil. 4 valves in all.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
Bouchard, if you turned the valve and the thru hull turned in the hull, you have started a compromise of the thru hull.

I would remove the thru hull and install a new one with new caulking. You do not want that caulking to be compromised. Once you start to breakdown the seal the flexing of your boat as you cruise through the water will eventually weaken the thru hull. When it fails it will happen as the worst of times.

Your boat, your choice.