Anyone using a boat intruder alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

I had the unfortunate and unpleasant experience yesterday of getting a phone call telling me that someone had broken into my moored boat in the wee hours of the morning. Besides prying off the locks, they threw the mainsail, hatch boards, boom crutch, and various other items overboard. I haven't found much of it so far. Who knows what they were looking for, probably just a bunch of drunks or drugies! Apparently there was a big party in that area of the lake that evening. This got me thinking about putting in some sort of alarm that would sound and perhaps strobe if someone tries to break in again. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to put in some magnetic sensors, etc. Has anyone used a ready made system? Have you put together one yourself? I'd appreciate feedback about your experiences, either pro or con. Michael

M

mortyd

locks

as a lifetime manhattan resident i will tell you the cops say bad guys don't even see locks; locks only deter people afraid of damage, not thieves. once i saw a tv show where a car thief was asked if two identical cars were parked next to each other, one with a nationally advertised anti-theft system and one without which he would steal. his answer;'i wouldn't notice.'

K

Ken Hastie

Alarm system

I bought a garden shed alarm for GBP12. Bought from LIDL ( http://www.lidl.co.uk ) Works brilliantly. The unit is completely powered by AA batteries (both the main unit and the external sounder) which last a season. The main unit fits inside the cabin and includes a PIR detector and has a built in keypad to arm/disarm. It has a user-configured time delay entry/exit. The external sounder does mean routing a cable through the cabin wall/roof, but the sounder covers the exit hole. You could (if you want) route the cable up the mast and mount the sounder on the mast, out of reach (I don't think it is necessary as the extremely loud siren would surely panic the person setting it off). You can also wire in a strobe if you wanted and mount that on top of the mast for visible indication of a break-in. Let's face it, most would simply leave the boat quickly once an alarm has activated. It does mean the alarm would only be activated once someone opens up the hatchway, but I figure theft would be minimal if there are boats/walkers in the area who would see/hear the alarm.

M

Michael

Any problems with false alarms with PIR

I've thought about those little, self-contained units but I have worried about the problems of using an infrared (IR) sensor. Some people have suggested that IR's are prone to false alarms in a boat environment. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences in that regard. My plan isn't to stop a determined and "professional" thief, only to scare off the drunks and teenage vandals who would rather not be noticed by others in the area.

K

Ken Hastie

No false alarms

The alarm seems to be fine. No false alarms I am aware of (neither reported by fellow boaters, nor shown on the panel). I have the PIR mounted on the mast support inside the cabin, pointing towards the main hatchway entrance. I know from previous experience with my home alarm that strong sunshine in windows can cause problems, hence my reason for pointing towards the hatchway.

M

Michael

need more help with the link

Ken, I've tried the link you provided but can't seem to find the alarm you mentioned. Could you check it and perhaps point me in the right direction with a little more information on make and model of the alarm? I'm pretty sure I know the type of alarm you are talking about from my searching elsewhere on the web, but I thought it would ge a good idea to see exactly what you were using since you are happy with it. Thanks again for the input!

Jul 25, 2006
- - Blyth, Northumberland UK
LIDL sales

Sorry, I should have explained further. LIDL are an outfit who change their 'specials' twice a week. i.e. Today it could be cycling gear, Monday it could be Sailing gear. The alarms tend to appear in their stores twice a year or so (and usually go very quickly). This way, they have very fast moving stock, and low prices. I'll see if I still have the outer carton (I usually keep them in case), and I can digi photo it if I do.

M

Michael

I bought a similar item

Thanks for the picture Ken. I bought something that seems similar recently and I hope to install it tomorrow. It has a main unit with a siren and a remote siren also. I tried it out at home and it sounds loud enough to bring attention to the boat if it is entered and the unit is not deactivated. It shuts off by itself after movement stops and resets also, so it shouldn't drive everyone nuts at the lake in the event of a false alarm or even after being activated by an intruder. I'll be reporting on my experience with in after installation.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
What a bummer

Michael, sorry to read about your experience. What makes people do such dumb-ass stuff? Maybe there is someone in the marina who has scuba gear and could dive for the mainsail, crib boards, etc. I don't have ideas for the alarm, just a lot of sympathy for you.

M

Michael

Thanks.

Thanks for the note of sympathy. It is a bummer, but I remind myself that if this is the worst that ever happens to me I will be very grateful. I did manage to get my mainsail back by slowly dragging the area with my anchor held just off the bottom. After a good wash it was none the worse for wear. I found one of the three hatch boards floating but no luck on the other two. I "fished" the area with a magnet trying to find the crutch but no luck. The lake is an irrigation lake and so it will be a lot more shallow in a week or two and I plan to walk the area once the water is down to five feet or so in depth. It's muddy enough that a scuba diver would have to search "by braile" anyway. Regarding why people do this--my detective work so far shows that the guys were drunk and at least one of the three has a long history of arrest for vandalism, theft, alcohol/drug problems, and assault. Usually they just break into cars and take whatever is there. If some fingerprints left on a radio/flashlight on the boat match I will be helping send him to the state prison. I should hear back from the state police in a week or so.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
I hope you find it

My lake is a flood control lake and gets drained each October through February - so I know what it is like to go back and look for items that fell overboard. Small items and tools have been known to jump off my boat. ;-) I hope you find that mast crutch, you probably will. One thing I have done is to rig up a 16' long 1" PVC pipe segment and duct tape on a fishing net to the end. I have had good luck retrieving sunglasses and other items with it. Just push it to the bottom and sweep the bottom. You could also attach some sort of rake that might help snag the crutch. By using long PVC pipe you get good range and it is inexpensive. You can add 8' segments easily. Put it out there and rake in towards your boat. Worth a try. Good luck.

M

Michael

Working ok so far.

I installed my alarm a week ago and so far so good. No false alarms that I know of. To see what I used go to ebay and search item number 190017242420. It should be shown on ebay for a month or so. I bought the extra siren that plugs into it also. There are many similar systems out there for about the same price. Nothing fancy and it certainly won't stop a determined intruder, but I'm just trying to scare off drunks and idiots! I installed the main unit right inside the companionway to make it easy to activate/deactivate and the extra siren is on the cabin mast post. I may play around with location of the main unit to get the best coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.