Anyone tried that new "Pettit Seagold" varnish like product yet?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Yeah, I've got brightwork... and right now it looks just terrible... too many years of neglect. I used to use Le Tokinois... but due to the long drying time, I never really managed to get the recommended 6 coats. (a sailor has to sail sometime...)

I just saw this thread on Le T... with this comment: "The Le Tonkinois lost points on gloss retention, but gained on ease of application and durability."
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?67274-Le-Tonkinois-varnish

The ease of application was the reason I used it... plus I didn't find the smell objectionable.

But as I mentioned, I never got the requisite 6 coats.

Now I see Pettit has this new stuff out... and I could put on 3 coats in a single day... But I am wondering just how well it works. I might just get a quart and do my hatch boards before committing to do all the brightwork.

So as I asked... anybody using the stuff now?

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Had the same problem with my exterior brightwork - neglected and looked terrible. First shot at a fix was the trim around the companionway - changed the old grooved and deteriorated teak out for Trex. I liked the change and the Admiral approved - project progressed from there. Trim strip at the top of the transom and the handrails on the cabin top went to Trex. All deemed to be good changes. Big job was the islands under the winches and cleats - this change need two widths of Trex, but came out fine. Other small stuff that I could take home in the winter and varnish in the basement stayed bright - ie: hatch covers for the lazarette, dorade covers, hatch slide board, and the drop boards all stayed bright. Finally the biggie - what to do with the toe rails? Too many bolts to easily remove or replace. Finally took a hunk of the Trex down to Benjamin Moore and said 'Match it' - which they did. Toe rails are now painted - low gloss alkyd enamel that matches the rest of the Trex. It's not glossy teak, but looks fine. Teak doesn't like being painted, so it needs scraping and repaint every three years or so. These changes fit nicely into my low maintenance target.