Anyone tried RustOleum appliance epoxy spray on rudder?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I doubt it is true epoxy as it is one part, and it states it adheres to metal, but I am trying it this year. Got it at a big box - not marine graded, obviously. Epoxied some dings on the rudder blade with West System and the white structural filler powder, washed with soapy water, then sanded it and cleaned with fiberglass cleaning solvent. The spray goes on well and is glossy, after 2 coats. We'll see if it survives a summer under fresh water.
I tried Interlux epoxy barrier coat (white) in the past and was not happy - went on too thick and hard to brush out (too tacky) and it is a pain to dole out the proportions.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I would recommend outboard-motor paint. It's expensive; but it sticks well. Be sure to use the zinc-chromate primer, and be sure to properly prep the metal surface first. Metal surfaces tend to remain oily, meaning they'll repel paint. Do it right from the first and you won't have the hassle later.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Priming any metal for underwater with zinch chromate which DianaofBurlington is a true and everlasting statement because it prevents rusting regardless is the first thing to be applied after the metal is cleaned. Thank you for mentioning that sir.

Everyone who sells paint I believe is required to keep on file per EPA what the contents of the paint is. It may not have it all on the can but you can request it. It would be interesting what the specific ingredients are.

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks, both. In my case, it is the glass rudder blade I painted - not any of the metal parts. I did use ZC primer and engine paint when I touched up the outboard leg. This "epoxy" paint did go on nicely, is very smooth and feels fairly hard; the issue will be if it continues to adhere to the fiberglass/epoxy/gel coat (whatever is under it) over the summer. I will try to post a new thread after the season with feedback.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
I would recommend calling rustoleum and talk to tech support. They are very knowledgeable!

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Thanks, both. In my case, it is the glass rudder blade I painted - not any of the metal parts. I did use ZC primer and engine paint when I touched up the outboard leg. This "epoxy" paint did go on nicely, is very smooth and feels fairly hard; the issue will be if it continues to adhere to the fiberglass/epoxy/gel coat (whatever is under it) over the summer. I will try to post a new thread after the season with feedback.
If you're painting a fiberglass rudder blade why is it any different than the bottom of the boat? Prep properly and use regular antifouling.

Apr 27, 2010
I'm in a fresh water lake (not too far from you - the Poconos) and we have not been using any antifouling or other paint on the hull.