Anyone take delivery of the new 350 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I am interested in the Catalina 350. As it is a brand new boat, I was waiting to hear some comments from new owners. How does it sail? How do you like the accomadations? Does the Port setee convert to a double? Good "family boat"? Would you purchase it tomorrow if you had not already done so VS. the 36?? Thanks.

G

gk

catalina 350

received delivery about two weeks ago. hull #2. went into the water this past weekend. still waiting on back orders ( even sail cover, etc.) so main is not on yet. have taken boat out and stayed the weekend on it. it is excellent. very roamy. will be sailing this weekend. can't imagine being more pleased so far. i only have experience with the cat 320 and beneteaus so i can't compare to 36. but i think this boat is going to be awesome.

A

Andy

We have Hull #3

Hi.. Saw that you have number 2, We have #3. Not comissioned yet, still not in the water but we were on it and it does look awsome. I did notice a "track" (for lack of a better word) of wood discolration spots about waist high on the bulkhead that forms the head. These rectangular light marks run the bulkhead from where the port setea ends to the head doorway. They are varnished over but I can't help but think why would they use this particula piece of wood? Does yours have this? Send me your e-mail so that we can stay in touch. Do you know who took Hull #1, 4 etc.... It would be great to start an owners association right now! We will have ours in New Jersey on the Delaware river for a month or so, then on the New Jersey Coast. Atlantic City, LBI, Cape May...Don't know quite yet. All the best and Happy Sailing? (PS Did you sail yet)?? Andy

I

Ivana

The first week of June

See my post "Where do I fit in"? My 350 will be delivered in Havre De Grace Maryland next week. I can hardly wait. Ivana

I

Ivana

To Hull number three

I am taking delivery of Hull number four next week in Havre De grace Maryland. I live in Atlantic City. See my post on "Where do I fit in" I started sailing many years ago on the Delaware Bay. Where is your boat being commissioned? Could I come see her? I know I know, my boat will be here next week but I can't wait. I can be reached at Wndchime11@aol.com

I

Ivana

To Hull number three

I am taking delivery of Hull number four next week in Havre De grace Maryland. I live in Atlantic City. See my post on "Where do I fit in" I started sailing many years ago on the Delaware Bay. Where is your boat being commissioned? Could I come see her? I know I know, my boat will be here next week but I can't wait. I can be reached at Wndchime11@aol.com

B

Bill

I may order one soon

Last May I ordered a new 36MKII that I was going to live aboard. A couple of my clients screwed me out of a lot of money (but they have boats) so I had to have the dealer in Bellingham sell it before I had even closed on it (and by this time I'd invested another 5k in it) but he got me most of my money back. He's a great guy, let me know if you're in the Pacific NW and would like his name. While the 36 was being commissioned though I began to wonder if it would really be a good liveaboard for me, ie., small holding tank, no seperate shower stall and a few other things so now that the 350 is here I'm beginning to think that maybe it's a good thing that I didn't take the 36. I would be interested to know how you folks that bought one had them equipped and if ya even want to mention what ya paid I'd be interested in that too. It appears to be very well equipped,I even noticed that it's supposed to come with the dripless shaft seal. I can only think that I would need to order it with the fin keel and microwave and I may add an autoprop as my only big option. Any comments, Thanks in advance.

A

Andy

Yep Did get the boat and It is just great!

Bill: Hi.. Sorry to hear about the situation with your 36 order. It all works out in the end. I think you will really enjoy the 350. It just so well thought out. They thought of everything on this one. The electronics panel is different than all other Catalina models, the Battery Charger is improved. Stall Shower, Walk around double spring matterss bed in the V Berth. Makes a big difference in "Livability". The boat with everything on it from high quaility double station color radar/chart plotter, Ultra Leather Interior, ST 60 Wind, speed, depth, microwave, Auto Prop...St 5000 + auto pilot or ST6001 auto pilot additional battery for engine start, will run in the low to mid 140's, I did here that the base price of the boat went up close to 10K since the boat was introduced in January. Let us know what you do as I am in the midst of starting an owners association!!! Best of Luck, Capt' Andy

B

Bill

Thanks Andy!

My dealer told me that the 350 was priced starting at slightly more than the 36MKII due to the fact that it is built in Florida and would have to be shipped to the Northwest. But as it appears it is going to be popular I'm sure that "slightly more " is going to turn into a "whole lot more". My 36 was about 115k and I'm hoping that a 350 will be under 125 as we have 8% sales tax to add to that and I'm planning to order it in pretty basic form, just the ST60 Wind, and the microwave. The autopilot and other stuff will come later but the autoprop may go on in the beginning. Let me know how your boat operates with the autoprop once you get it wet. Thanks again and congrats on your new boat. Bill

C

Clyde

Supply and Demand

The cost difference between the 36 MarkII and the 350 is based on supply and demand and not on where it is being made. A Florida Catalina dealer listed the 350 with a base price of $112,372 in Cape Coral, Fl. The same dealer lists a new 36 MarkII as being $110,379 in Cape Coral, Fl. If the difference in the Northwest was due to shipping, why does a 350 still costs more than the new 36 MarkII in Florida? I would take what the Northwest dealer has to say with a grain of salt. Remember he is in the business to make a profit. The real reason the 350 costs more than a new 36 MarkII is because the 350 is a new design incorporating new design features not found on older designs, like the 36 MarkII. He lists the options for the 350: The microwave as $262. The Wind Package Ray ST-60 as $1445. The Autohelm ST 5000 as $4209. The Autohelm ST 6001 as $5477. The Autohelm 6001 w/Gyro Interface as $6332. Fair winds, Clyde

B

Bill

Clyde, Let me clarify

What my dealer said is that ONE of the reasons the 350 is more expensive is because it's built in Florida and the shipping from there is more expensive than for a 36 from CA. One of the reasons the 36 in FL is that expensive is probably because it has to be shipped from CA.

C

Clyde

Cost of 350 vs. 36 mkII

Bill, The cost of a new 36 mkII, built in CA., is still less than the cost of a new 350 in Florida, where the 350 is built. A Florida Catalina dealer's base line price of a new 36 mkII in FL. is about $2k less than the 350. See the web link for the FL. Catalina dealer, he publishes the base line price on his web site, he also shows option prices for the new 350. The dealer also publishes some of the base line prices for the Catalina models he sells. Knowing what a FL. dealer charges may help you negotiate the price with your Seattle dealer. The local dealer always seem to have an advantage because Catalina prices are hard to find and most often all you have is the local dealer's word on the base line price. You never know how much mark-up he is adding to both the sailboat and the options. Fair winds. Clyde

B

Bill

Thanks Clyde

Thanks for the link to that dealer's site, I found it very helpful. It appears that the 350 is quite a bit less than I thought it would be but it is just a bit more than the 36 was with the options I'd added to it. I will say this about the dealer though. Legally, he could have retained my deposit on the 36 I'd ordered but in fact returned all but what we agreed would be fair compensation for the 4 months he carried the boat while it sat(not for sale) up at his dock. One thing about the Florida dealer's pricing though, I doubt it includes shipping to Bellingham. I also noticed that he doesn't price an ST4000 autopilot which is probably the one I would put on my boat but hey, there's always Sailnet.com. Thanks again Clyde

B

Bill

Clyde, more info

Today's price from that FL dealer on a 350, without transportation or commissioning, is 117,775 which would put it here in the NW in my hands at about 123-125,000 excluding sales tax which is what I had guessed it was going to be. I'll see what my dealer quotes me this week and I'll let ya know. I think the price increase pretty much rules out the Autoprop addition for now as well as the epoxy barrier coat I was going to add.

C

Clyde

Good Luck, Bill

Bill, You now have a base list price where you can negotiate with the local dealer on how much of his profit margin he is willing to give up in order to make a deal or maybe have the dealer throw in the Autoprop free or at a heavy discount. You can also talk with both the Seattle Catalina dealer and the Bellingham Catalina dealer to increase your leverage, since they know you are a bonafide buyer and not just window shopping. You also could talk with the Portland Oregon dealer. Buying a sailboat from the dealer is like buying a used car, you should always negotiate since the prices are based on profit margins. Try and negotiate for price first and then free equipment and than free installation for equipement you buy and have them install. Good luck on your negotiations. Fair Winds. Clyde

I

Ivana

My delivery 6/10 02

I took delivery of my 350 today June tenth. She was perfect. Beautiful wood, beautiful detail. I could find no fault. I independently purchased a Raytheon 70CRC radar/chart plotter/ GPS, autohelm 5000 and remote, ST 60 wind to go with the included knot and speed, VHF with Ram, stereo and two sets of speakers, anchor washdowm and 13 inch TV and anteana. I shopped the sales and saved thousands of dollars this way. The boat came with refrig and freezer, anchor windlass, microwave, electric head with macerator, and real mattresses on the bunks. The marina will be installing my equipment as part of the commissioning. I am getting excellent service and am very satisfied with Tidewater Marina in Havre deGrace Maryland. I feel I made an excellent choice in purchasing this yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.