Anyone seen this tool before? I think it is a compass rose for tracking shifts

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Kind of like this without the fancy colors:

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Thanks Guys, I now have a contact in Spain where this one comes from. It is quite like the tacking master which I use but everyone can see it not just the person wearing it.
Will, I meant wind shifts. Having a way to track where the wind is so you can tell if you are lifted or headed is not easy unless your memory is better than mine. Unless I have a way to keep track my mind flushes that memory as it is all used up with tactics. The beauty of this solution is that someone else can take responsibility for tracking it.
Hopefully I can come up with it.
Dan

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’ve seen those before, but I thought they came from the UK or Scotland. Anyway glad you found it! You’re right it does seem like a big tackingmaster. As a tactician I love mine, like you said it’s a great memory aid setting the window angle and doing it mechanically helps you remember them.. In that role, I really don’t care if the crew can see it. I don’t rely on them to know if we’re up or down. #MyJob.

They are also great for reciprocal and 90° angles, particularly when you have very little time to analyze the line. Doing a wind shot and then setting it, and then running the line it gives you your boat and pin angles from each side, it is very easy to tell which side is favored.

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Thanks Guys, I now have a contact in Spain where this one comes from. It is quite like the tacking master which I use but everyone can see it not just the person wearing it.
Dan, can you tell me where you found that item. I also use a TackingMaster and would be interested in something that the crew can see. Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Dan, can you tell me where you found that item. I also use a TackingMaster and would be interested in something that the crew can see. Thanks
For sure, if you think this device could aid your program, by all means do it. Just because I personally don’t see the value in it doesn’t mean it’s not going to be absolutely right for some boats. Try it out. Sail fast!

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
The supplier/manufacturer is in Spain and I have asked him if he is interested in selling them here. I will report back once I know the costs and at least we can make a multiple buy to save on freight if it is all reasonable.
Will keep you posted once I find out if he is ok with me releasing his email.
The company name is Yates and Cosas.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Actually, all you really need is a boat's compass and a pencil and paper. Here's a link that will explain it all: Using a Race Compass: When and How | SailZing
Actually, all you need is a grease pencil like Jackdaw used to write the two headings beside the companionway, or a good memory!

I am just looking for ways to give me more brain power to dedicate to other jobs on the boat AND ways to engage some of the rest of the crew. I have noticed a couple of them coming back and looking over my shoulder at the plotter on my previous boat but the new one has mast mounted displays so that will help get them there too.

You are right though, I could write it down on some paper.
Dan

Nov 8, 2010
There are two issues in play here. READING the compass. ACTING on the compass.

For me the only solution for a reading a compass is a digital magnetic one on the mast. Big numbers, backlit, magnetic. Anyone that wants/needs/cares can see the heading. Nobody blocks the view. And so very key, it reads the same no matter where you are sitting! A globe compass mounted on a side bulkhead or at the wheel is useless as a tactical compass.

Acting on the data is what the site Joe posted it about, and frankly you can use any decent tactical compass to get the raw data. But making the data actionable is the trick. Memory aids, digital tricks, mechanical fidgets, pen and paper work great. As Dan notes, often we’ll write angles right on the boat, and clean them up after.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
After some head scratching I figured out what I was sort-of remembering. That device looks like the training version of the wot-tac device, made in the UK. The wot-tac is sort of an older, handheld version of the wrist-wornTackingMaster. As expected it’s plastic and weatherproof. Seems they made some bigger sheet-based ones for demo and classroom use. That’s what I thought it was. Pretty close.

67407ED3-216D-4A55-9E91-FC43C43586E6.jpeg

Good news, my brain is still OK. All the info is here:

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Great catch Clay, isn't it funny that things like this hide in the old cranium and isn't it great when you clear up the mystery successfully.