Anyone seen an Outlaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lew Cronin

Greetings O'Day people: I am looking for information on a daysailor called an O'Day Outlaw. It apprears to be an older boat, about 24 or 25' with a sloop rig, large cockpit and low cabin. It resembles a Rainbow in overall aspect, but with more trim and nicer setup. I have seen one but have not been able to get any information on it. Anyone's assistance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Lew Cronin

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Seen a picture of one ...

There was a poster of an Outlaw for sale in the shop I spent the summer at. It looked just like a Tempest, so I don't know if it was mislabled or if the hull was essentially similar with a couple of extra feet. Check out the Tempest information and see if it looks like what you're talking about. I know several people with Tempests, so I could look into anything you needed to know. Sorry not to be more directly helpful, but if can figure out if they're truly similar, we can get moving for ya. Justin - O'day Owners' Webq

D

Don Evans

Canadian Built O'Day

Actually there are still a few around Ontario. The licence to build them in Canada was granted to an Ontario builder. The design went on to become the Northern 25, a very popular boat, and again many are still around. The Outlaw is pretty long in the tooth, and unless very well maintained, most would have seen the ravages of time. Here is a breif synopsis from Mike McIntires' Onofficial O'Day site: My boat was made in Brampton Ontario, Canada and I have met the builder. He went on to form Northern Yachts in Ajax. There are quite a number of Northerns sailing in this area. The Oday Outlaw was redesigned and had a Fin Keel added to replace the full keel and that boat became the Northern 25. There is another Oday Outlaw at the Oshawa Yacht Club but I don't know its age or or hull No. When the boat was redesigned, a foot was taken off the stern and the cabin space was enlarged. The boat also got a lot lighter as they had found out at that time just how strong fiberglass was and they didn't have to use as much lay-up as they were previously to get a strong boat. Boats of the age that mine is tend to be very strong and although heavy for a 26 footer, she is very responsive and fast. The overall design is similar to that of an Alberg 30 if you are familiar with that boat. There is a reverse transom and the outboard sits in a well covered by a lazarrete. The whole picture looks very clean. Because of the weight and hull design (Wineglass shape) the boat is very seakind and does not pond even in the heaviest seas. The baby sister of the outlaw was the cruising version of the Oday Tempest. Don

R

Rod Johnson

O'Day Outlaw

YES, I have seen an OUTLAW! The boat is a 26' loa design by Philip Rhodes, who also designed the 23' O'Day Tempest, and the Rhodes 19. There were not too many built, and they were actually built in Canada by another builder under contract to O'Day. Dimensions are: LOA: 26' 3" LWL: 19' 0" Beam: 8' 0" Draft: 4' 3" Sail area: 302 sq ft. The cabin had 4 berths, a modest galley, and a semi-private head. Auxiliary power was provided by an outboard in a well, or an optional inboard engine (10hp Kermath in the drwg). The cockpit was 8' long and described as ideal for daysailing. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.