Anyone replaced stanchions on an O'day 23? Advice needed

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Notice that one of my stanchions has a crack near the base so I want to replace. I looked at the 4 mounting bolts and ????
I do not see any nuts on the inside of the boat. The stanchion is so close to the rail that I was wondering if they are lagged into something.
Has anyone replaced the stansions on an O'day 23? Mine is a 1982. If yes .....
How are they attached to the hull?
What advice/recommendations do you have?
Any cautions I need to be aware of?

Thanks appreciate the help
James

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
They should be through bolted. On mine I can get access to the bolts via cutouts in the liner. Try feeling along the carpet just under where the stanchion is to see if you can determine whether there is a cutout. On my boat, the carpet had never been pulled back to reveal the cutout, but once I did, there were the four bolts sticking through the bottom of the deck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stanchions need backplate and through bolts if they are to catch you should you try to fall overboard.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Yes you can still get them and as stated above they are through bolted thru the deck. You will find the holes buried under the carpet

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Thanks to all for the comments, they are appreciated.
Before I posted I did try and feel along the cabin top but did not feel anything. Will take a more careful look next time I'm on the boat. This is not an emergency repair just something I'd like to take care of maybe over the winter . I posted the question so I had an idea of what would be required so I can plan this and other maintenance issues, get parts etc etc etc

Tilell

Aug 30, 2018
O'Day 22 Ithaca
James, did you ever get around to this? I've a 22' same year that will need the same treatment, and while I found where there was a gap in the headliner, I'm skeptical of getting my hand and a tool up in there. I'm wondering if I'll need to cut a small scallop out of the headliner to accomplish it.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
In my opinion it is a two person job to take them off and reinstall new gaskets.....I've done mine maybe twice since 1988 or so and the second person with either the screw driver or a wrench is helpful....Rudy at D & R can supply you with the gaskets, I assume, that should go under the bases...the have the holes punched in the gaskets...as I recall it is not a difficult procedure. When you order the gaskets from Rudy at D & R you might ask him if you have any questions...I'm assuming D & R supplies the rubber gaskets....I personally, I think I would have some caulk on hand....you will need a wrench to tighten them down....below deck, and a pretty hefty screwdriver topsides to tighten the bolts from above...I hope this is understandable and if Rudy no longer supplies the gaskets, you can make your own...his are just pre-punched at the correct locations to match the existing holes from the first set of bases & gaskets..you will see the holes when you pull back the headline/carpet in the gasket locations.....good luck....Patrick in Wichita...

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
I like bedding with butyl tape.
Look up BED-IT tape. Marine grey butyl

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I believe the gaskets you can purchase from D & R are butyl, or rubber and they have an adhesive side which
gives a very good , tight seal.....they have holes already drilled for the stanchion base. Two people make this job much easier....you can pull down the headliner only in the area of the stanchion base....it's easier than you may believe. You just need help below.....Patrick

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
On my 35 the fiberglass headliner covers the bottom of the through bolts and the nuts that hold your stanchion bases in place. You have to cut the headliner to access the nuts. I used butyl rubber to seal the stanchion base after I drilled, filled, drilled and chamfered the holes in one of the stanchions. I still need to do this to the other 5 stanchion bases. Maine Sail does NOT recommend using the rubber gasket that these stanchions originally were equipped with. I removed the degraded gasket and only used butyl.

Dec 29, 2018
Oday 35 Essex, MD
On our Oday 35, We also found The stanchion thru bolts inaccessible after removing the carpet on the walls of v-berth. Did you cut the fiberglass headliner and do you have photos to share?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My O'Day 25 has a wood block as a backing plate. The midship stanchion bolts are exposed below deck. Most carpet style headliners you can cut a slot in and then glue back in place with little to no visible marks. I used to work on a lot of carpeted equipment cases when I was younger and while 3M 33+ spray adhesive worked great, it was difficult to remove later. I found that rubber cement held it on well but was also easy to remove when it came time to service those cases. My 25 has cloth covering many of the walls.

As for those backside nuts, try using a pair of vice grips for the nuts below deck. In many cases the vice grips will spin a bit, hit something and then hold the nut still while you use a screw driver above deck. You might want to tie a line on the vice grips for when the nut comes loose