Anyone paint the acrylic walls?

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
New sailboat owner here and I really dislike the cream color of the cabin acrylic. Anyone successfully paint them?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not on a Hunter 26 but on a different boat. And that is gel coat not acrylic. The majority of the work is the prep.
I’d test any paint system on a small discrete area first.

My guess would be a light sanding to scruff up the surface followed by a wipe down with an ammonia solution (windex?) and then a high quality acrylic. I’ve had good luck with rustoleum products and you will always be able to find a color match years later.

Review the roll and tip technique for getting a nice smooth finish.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Before you prep and paint, try cleaning an inconspicuous area with some "Tidy Bowl",
Star Bright "Hull Cleaner" or similar cleaner. The inner liner surface will attract airborne smoke residue from environmental air pollution, cooking or cigarette smoke, which discolors the liner.
It may never go back to original "white", but you may decide the new color is tolerable.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Not on a Hunter 26 but on a different boat. And that is gel coat not acrylic. The majority of the work is the prep.
I’d test any paint system on a small discrete area first.

My guess would be a light sanding to scruff up the surface followed by a wipe down with an ammonia solution (windex?) and then a high quality acrylic. I’ve had good luck with rustoleum products and you will always be able to find a color match years later.

Review the roll and tip technique for getting a nice smooth finish.
I have had a lot of success with alkyd paint. It sticks to everything and has a nice smooth finish. Might try one area in the head. I took off the mirror and the amount of glue they used to keep that piece of mirrored plastic on you would have thought it was real mirror. Now I’m left with a mess of hard glue residue. Have to sand it down and touch up some holes. That would be the perfect place to try out the alkyd paint