Anyone own a Cal 28-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaza

Dec 11, 2009
Cal 22 Newburyport
I will soon be purchasing a 1986 Cal 28. I wanted to hear from anyone that owns or sails this model. Looking for any feedback regarding performance and overall quality.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Gaza
Newburyport, MA

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Gaza,

Are you looking at "First Light" in Newburyport? If so, make sure you get a survey. I know a couple that put an offer on it and walked away after the survey because of some serious issues.

Good luck

Dec 19, 2009
Cal 39 Mark II St Michaels, MD
Cal 28's and oterh Cals....

I will soon be purchasing a 1986 Cal 28. I wanted to hear from anyone that owns or sails this model. Looking for any feedback regarding performance and overall quality.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Gaza
Newburyport, MA
Gaza, there is a very active Cal group on Yahoo Groups.... cal_owners. Check it out.

The Cal is a fine boat, all models. I personally have a Cal 39 Mark II, and there are quite a few of us, but the group is very active, and there are a number of your boats there.

C

Jul 21, 2006
- - Chattanooga, TN
I have an '86, hull #19, and we love it. For a production boat, it's built well, although we've found some construction shortcuts. The biggest problem was hull blisters, which we know about going in and negotiated a discount for. It took two tries with barrier coats, but they have not reappeared. It's great for a couple for overnighting or weekending and will stand up to some weather. Also easy to sail short-handed. Compared to a Catalina or ODay of the same size, you get more room, much nicer standard features, a little more bling and better sailing performance. Our boat with a 155 headsail goes to weather almost as well as a J24 and is fairly fast on all points of sail except downwind. A spinnaker would probably solve that, but we've all but retired from racing.

Leenie

Jun 1, 2010
Cal sail cruiser Milford
You saved me a drive

Gaza,

Are you looking at "First Light" in Newburyport? If so, make sure you get a survey. I know a couple that put an offer on it and walked away after the survey because of some serious issues.

Good luck
Thanks for the tip about First Light. I was looking to upgrade from my 26' Pearson to a Cal, Pearson, Tartan, or Sabre and First Light came up in my search. Glad I saw your note about the survey issue. I guess I'll pass on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.