Anyone know what this tang would be used for?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that may be a cutter sail tang...look on the deck and see if there is a place to mount or anchor one

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Yabut what does the forestay attach to? Since it's at the same position as the upper shrouds, I would think that's where the forestay goes. Masthead rig and all that. Am I wrong?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
the forestay mounts to the masthead on that 3/8 pin going across there is a split toggle that goes there

Apr 15, 2015
Oday 26 Gloucester
Not at the boat right now. So there is an extra saiil down below in a bag. Have not even taken it out. THat would be a total of 3 sails. Main, Jib(furler), and the one in the bag. My question is why don't I have the stay wire that would connect there. I have not seen it on the boat. Maybe the PO was planning on it but never completed.

Apr 15, 2015
Oday 26 Gloucester
Don't know. There is no stay in the bag. There is a shackle behind the place where the forestry attaches. So I guess there is an attachment point.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Here is a photo of the top of my friend's Oday 26 mast. He has no tang on the front. The forestay is attached with a toggle to the pin in the masthead.

I had asked him earlier whether he had a tang and whether the forestay was attached to it or the masthead, and he misunderstood me and said it was attached to the tang. I think he meant it was attached to the masthead. Sorry for the confusion.

image-677791902.jpg

Thanks,

Andrew

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I wouldn't think an inner forestay for a cutter-rig would attach that high up. I'm a bit confused though.... because it seems that the upper shrouds should be attached to tangs bolted through the masthead assembly, not that far below the masthead. Is that maybe a used, replacement mast? Modified to adapt to the O'DAY 26? It just looks "weird" t ome.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
My quess would be a bail to mount a spinnaker hayard block.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Part of an old halyard restrainer for furling jib??
That was my other thought, but it looked too "factory" for that?

I still wonder it this was a used, replacement mast, from another boat?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The bail for a spinnaker halyard block is that hoop at the top of the mast I think. The spinnaker halyard needs to be outboard of the head stay. That's why I was thinking it would be for a block for a topping lift for a spinnaker pole.

Apr 15, 2015
Oday 26 Gloucester
Looking at the Kenyon mast website I discovered it is an inner forestry tang. It is to be used for a staysail. I have the other sail in the bag. I do not have the wire and some have said they use deneema cord I believe. I only have 2 halyards, what would I use to hoist the hank on staysail? Some call it Solent rig or splutter rigged. I would like to rig it before I put the mast up. It would be nice to have a smaller jib in windy conditions. Might balance the boat versus rolling in the furler.

I have read about using Deneema (sp) for this.

Apr 15, 2015
Oday 26 Gloucester
I don't have a spinnaker. Wonder if I should rig a block to the spin ever bail atop the mast and use it as another halyard.