Anyone install a Yanmar 2GM20F in their C-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allen Schweitzer

I replaced my old Atomic 4 with a new Yanmar 2GM20F diesel. I love it...it's reliable, quiet and burns less than 1/2 gallon per hour at 5.2 knots. HOWEVER, it sits a lot higher than the Atomic 4 did and as a result I had to add 4" of wood to lift the dinette seat so there would be enough clearance for the engine. The raised cushion is useless & it's so uncomfortable! I'm now getting around to fixing this & doing it right. Has anyone installed this particular Yanmar in their C-30? I'm wondering what they did to get the cushion back to it's original height. My motor is mounted as far forward as it can be...maybe if I mounted it farther back I'd be able to lower the motor an inch or two, though I'd probably have to chop off the bottom drawer of my galley. Anyone have any ideas? Allen Schweitzer s/v Drambuie C-30 Hull# 632

D

David

This may help

I just bought a 1981 Catalina 30 that has a brand new 2GM20 and it fits. The cushion fits fine. The survey noticed slight wear to the cutlass bearing, so some engine adjsutment is needed.

A

Allen Schweitzer

To David

David, Thanks for the reply...That's great news. Odd questions: Do you happen to know how much distance there is from the engine's v-belt to the forward wall of the engine compartment? How much clearance does your exhaust riser have towards the back of the engine compartment? I'm trying to figure out how to get my install as clean as yours is. --Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.