Anyone Hear from Claude Auger Lately?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Haven't seen any posts from Claude Auger in a while.. Was wondering if anyone has heard from my friend and fellow H-34 owner?
Coincidence that our first names are the same, we both own H-34's, and we are both Mech Engineers.. He's sailed his 34 extensively .. Canada to Bahamas and back.. and has a great bunch of experience..

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hi guys,
Tks for your concerns and sorry for not having been more present. In fact I only have taken a sporadic quick look at the forum over the last year. And not chimed in anything. But I have answered the private message and sent info to those requesting it. Been very active sailing my H34 up to Labrador and back, singlehandedly, summer of 2016 (3-month singlehanded tripb, 2200 nm) and to Lake Champlain last summer.
Boat on the hard in Montreal but I am wintering in Florida again this year. Currently helping a friend prepare his Beneteau 41 for the SORC Fort-Lauderdale - Key West race to be held this January. Will be navigator on board for delivery to Lauderdale and for race.
Hope to have more time to get on the forum and resume relationship with you guys.
BTW Kloudie, I am not a Mech. Eng., just an experienced jack-of-all-trades who likes to tell PEs how to make things work LOL !!!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks for the note.. I was hoping you were doing fun things!..

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I would love to hear about the trip to Labrador. I've been thinking of heading that way also.

dj

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Been very active sailing my H34 up to Labrador and back, singlehandedly, summer of 2016 (3-month singlehanded tripb, 2200 nm) and to Lake Champlain last summer.
I have long had a secret desire to cruise that area, ever since reading the book, "The Boat that Wouldn't Float". My biggest worry is that even in the middle of the summer, it will be too chilly for an old Caribbean bird like me to enjoy, with my open cockpit helm position.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Glad to hear you got some sailing in last summer- water levels were so high you might have been able to take a different route to Lake Champlain? :)

Dec 14, 2003
I have long had a secret desire to cruise that area, ever since reading the book, "The Boat that Wouldn't Float". My biggest worry is that even in the middle of the summer, it will be too chilly for an old Caribbean bird like me to enjoy, with my open cockpit helm position.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Indeed it was chiller than my trips to the Bahamas and to the Caribbean, but I believe it was the trip of a lifetime and I am longing to do it again sometimes. It is cold and damp when on the water, but comfortable when on shore. I did like my mom used to tell me: dress in layers easy to peel, like an onion. The magnificent beauty of the scenery, the loneliness of the absolutely wild areas (even sailed in uncharted waters after getting advice from local fishermen), and the fabulous hospitality and friendliness of the locals more than make up for the fact that you don't sail weariaxng shorts and a t-shirt ! FYI I have a bimini and a dodger but no full enclosure. And no heating system other than a small electric heater when occasionally plugged into shorepower .

Dec 14, 2003
Glad to hear you got some sailing in last summer- water levels were so high you might have been able to take a different route to Lake Champlain? :)
Hi Richard,
I was headed to Lake Ontario, leader of a 3-boat flotilla. On the day of our departure from my club, mast down and roaring to go across the St.Anne locks and re-step, I got a call from a friend alerting me to the extremely strong currents of the St.Lawrence because of the water levels.
Several calls to the CG and Seaway Authority later, I found out that more than 9000 cubic meters per second were going under the Cornwall bridge and that the Seaway had written to the tall ships planning to go from the Great Lakes to Quebec City for the gathering there not to go if they could not maintain a minimum of 8 knots SOG from Montreal to Lake Ontario.
Decision not to try to go was easy to make and since we already had the masts down and were geared to go, we decided on Lake Champlain. Last minute decision but beautiful trip !
Hope everything is fine with you, and of course your wife (Karen? ) !

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Indeed it was chiller than my trips to the Bahamas and to the Caribbean, but I believe it was the trip of a lifetime and I am longing to do it again sometimes. It is cold and damp when on the water, but comfortable when on shore. I did like my mom used to tell me: dress in layers easy to peel, like an onion. The magnificent beauty of the scenery, the loneliness of the absolutely wild areas (even sailed in uncharted waters after getting advice from local fishermen), and the fabulous hospitality and friendliness of the locals more than make up for the fact that you don't sail weariaxng shorts and a t-shirt ! FYI I have a bimini and a dodger but no full enclosure. And no heating system other than a small electric heater when occasionally plugged into shorepower .
Thank you for the nice response. You make it sound possible, if not a bit chilly.
One question; were most of your anchorages in rocky bottoms and if so, what kind of anchor did you use?

Dec 14, 2003
Thank you for the nice response. You make it sound possible, if not a bit chilly.
One question; were most of your anchorages in rocky bottoms and if so, what kind of anchor did you use?

Dec 14, 2003
Several different types of anchorage, including very rocky ! Main anchor is Bruce 39 lbs set on 75 ft of 5/16 chain, with 150' of 3-strand 5/8" nylon rode spliced to it. Never had a problem, but had to reset a few times because I thought the reversing tide was bringing me too close to rocky shore. Installed an orin on anchor to make retrieval easier. Also set a stern anchor when in too tight quarters. Can send you pics when I get my laptop back from the shop.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Claude

I had several friends, from BYC and PCYC, who went to the 1000 Islands this summer, on CS30s and C&C27s. The trip was a little slower than normal but no problem. The trip home was a breeze, on the other hand ;-)

Cheers

Matt

Dec 14, 2003
Claude

I had several friends, from BYC and PCYC, who went to the 1000 Islands this summer, on CS30s and C&C27s. The trip was a little slower than normal but no problem. The trip home was a breeze, on the other hand ;-)

Cheers

Matt
So do I Matt, I suppose it was a matter of when ! My departure date was in early July, just a few days after the water had started to recede from the flood, but not nearly enough to uncover the concrete sidewalks on the side of the St.Anne canal. In fact even the bollards were under water and no boat could stop there.
And after having been told by Seaway Administration that they had advised Tall Ships not able to maintain 8 knots upstream not to get in the system, my decision was a no-brainer for the period of my intended trip.