Anyone have real-life weight of their Capri 26?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Williams

Ahoy all, I have a new (to me) Capri 26 -- and I have just several questions. 1) The listed dry weight is 5100 lbs or there abouts. But, this is the weight Catalina lists whether or not the boat has a deisel (which mine does). Has anyone put their boat and trailer on the scales? 2) Comparing notes on a similar, but slightly newer Capri 26 at the boat storage yare, I see that I have a trailer that is rated for a maximum weight (trailer and boat) of 7000 lbs. This seems light when the other guy's trailer is rated at 9999 lbs. (both are TrailRite) The trailers seem identicle except that his tires and wheels are bigger.....bigger axels also perhaps. When buying new....you don't get your choice of trailers...or do you? Sometime between 1990 and about 1994, did Catalina decide they needed the bigger trailer or what? Thanks. Brad

M

Mike Gurley

WEIGHT OF BOAT

I weighed my boat several years ago. The weight is still because of equipment on board at the time. I estimated that all gear including safety gear, galley, water, diesel anchor and line, weighted in at 250lbs. The boat weight is 6530lbs. My Capri is a 1994 fin, inboard, marine head, hot water system. I weighed it with all sails and canvas on board the water tank had 2 inches in it so the lines were full and the hot water tank was full, 6 gallons. the diesel tank had about 3 gallons in it. I have never had an explanation as to the factory weight of 5100. As for my trailer it has the large wheels I believe it is rated at 10,000. It weighs 1480lbs. When I get it out of storage this spring (not coming soon enough) I will get back with you. I would be interested when you weigh yours what the results are. Mike

B

Brad Williams

Thanks Mike....let me get this right.

So, boat at 6500 lbs or so, and trailer at 1480 lbs....you are hauling 8,000 lbs down the highway, would that sound right? My boat can't be far off yours in weight. I am beginning to become concerned with this max 7000 lb trailer -- the trailer has to be at least 1000 lbs, as soon as the boat hits the 6,000 lb mark, I'm over the specs. I may call Catalina and TrailRite both and ask them. Anyway...thanks for the reply. I'm right down the road from you...in Denver. I slip at Chatfield. Is your boat "Recess?" Brad

D

Dave

Capri26

Hi Brad: Dave Shattler here. Glad to see you made it to Denver ok. (I owned your boat before Kevin, and talked to your at Elk Rapids.)For some reason, trailer weight of 1200 lbs sticks in my mind. I used to guess that the actual weight of the Capri26 was about 6200-6500 lbs with all tanks full and all of our "junk" on board. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions. Dave S/V Westwind Westwind6371@att.net

Status
Not open for further replies.