Anyone have info on trailer rental for Lancer 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonLancer25

I am looking at buying a 1982 Lancer 25 Mark V. I need to get her from Boston Harbor to my home in Central MA. Any info on trailer rental places around here? Or if anyone might have a trailer available, I am a licensed electrician willing to barter, or we could just arrange a price. I have a truck to tow her, just need the trailer for a day or two. Thanks for any info.
Jon

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Try checking with any local sailing clubs. A non-specific with adjustable jack stands of an appropriate length would work.
Luck.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Jon...is she at Jefferies in East Boston and named Solara? If so she is my old boat and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about her. I also know her previous owner.

BobM

J

JonLancer25

Jon...is she at Jefferies in East Boston and named Solara? If so she is my old boat and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about her. I also know her previous owner.

BobM
Bob.. yes as a matter of fact it is her and any info would be greatly appreciated. If you wouldn't mind giving me a call that would be really great, I am curious about the previous owner as well. Cell # 508-769-7974
Thanks

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thought so

Bob.. yes as a matter of fact it is her and any info would be greatly appreciated. If you wouldn't mind giving me a call that would be really great, I am curious about the previous owner as well. Cell # 508-769-7974
Thanks
I sailed on her with Matt last week. Unfortunately he didn't take me up on an offer to rig her and to sail her with him the spring he picked her up. He and his brother motored off on a day with beautiful sailing weather (15-20 knots) and promptly raised the main into the spreaders ripping it badly. She is still rigged wrong with no reefs set up. She was a mess. We cleaned her up and took her out in about 10 knots of wind. I had her trucking right along with the rail in the water no problem (to Matt's surprise), but the genoa lines definitely need to go outside of the shrouds.

I will be tough to get a hold of tomorrow, as I am in FL taking care of my Mom and will fly back tomorrow. I'll try to call when I return to work Thurs. Also be happy to take you sailing on my boat and shoot the breeze. I have been down in FL for most of the month and am dying to get out on the water ASAP. Also, I live in Northborough and work in Marlborough (you said you are in Central MA), so if that is convenient we can hook up after work nearby (if it isn't sailing weather of course).

She is a solid starter boat, very roomy, dry inside and stable compared to a smaller boat, however her performance in very light air is hampered by the 100% jib. She could use a larger headsail in the light summer air prevalent in Boston Harbor. I told Matt to do what I did...sail her and have fun...as nobody will have more fun per dollar than you on that boat.

I sold her because my Wife told me in no uncertain terms that buying a $3000 trailer for her was out of the question. I planned to do so to reduce my annual sailing costs, which with her, was mostly the annual winter storage bill. I told her she was being unreasonable, as the $3000 would be recouped in two years. She said that she didn't have to be reasonable...so reasoning that it was only going to cost me $300/year more in winter storage I bought my 30 footer :D instead. It was my original game plan to cut my teeth on Solara. I figured that if I couldn't sail and care for her I didn't deserve to buy better. But I could and I did so there you have it.
The previous owner pretty much went the same route...only he traded her on a Catalina 30 and then moved up to a Hunter 37 Cutter.

Matt doesn't have the battery connected properly. The running lights on deck work, but as I recall, neither the steaming light nor the anchor light are working. I replaced the main halyard about three years ago and the bilge pump and wiring two years ago. I also redid a bunch of terminations at the panel that looked flaky. The solar panel is a god send on a mooring and it works well. I replaced the tiller about three years ago and put about six coats of varnish on it, but it is time for a few more. I bought the 8hp Evinrude used three years ago after someone swiped my Johnson 9.9. It is extremely reliable. I rebuilt the water pump when I bought it (better safe than sorry) and converted it to remote controls.

No real problems with the hull/deck other than what is visible, although at the price I never went hunting for wet deck core. I'd expect some given her age and condition. The previous owner dealt with some delamintion in the keel (not unusual in a boat with an integral keel) and then barrier coated her about ten years ago. I saw no subsequent problems and couldn't even find the repair, although you may if you strip the pettit hydrocoat ablative on her...she is close to needing that done and would benefit from it. There are a few small pits around her waterline the size of a pencil eraser. She was left in the water for an extended period of time before I got her and I think she had some barnacles that took some gelcoat with them when they came off. After watching her for a few seasons I raised the waterline an inch or so to stop a skirt of weed she kept growing and it seemed to do the trick.

I never recaulked the chain plates and they are likely due. The jib had some repairs (due to a screw up) and has plenty of life left in it. The main he has on it is short. I'd get the original fixed or buy a new one. New sails for her would do wonders and would be about $1200-1500.

Its a shame that Matt didn't make a go of her. I hope you do better.

Bob

J

JonLancer25

Bob,
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I would love to meet up, either on your boat or not, up to you.
I am planning on getting a trailer, but like your wife, I also don't want to spend $3K. I have friends who have welding and steel working skills and plan on getting an old , non-specific trailer, and cutting and welding until it works!
My plans for Solara are similar to yours were. I have little to no sailing experience (lots on power boats). I would like to take lessons and learn on Solara, and someday move up to maybe something bigger. And also plan on bringing her back to new condition.
Thanks again
Jon
call when you get a chance 508-769-7974 Thanks!

I sailed on her with Matt last week. Unfortunately he didn't take me up on an offer to rig her and to sail her with him the spring he picked her up. He and his brother motored off on a day with beautiful sailing weather (15-20 knots) and promptly raised the main into the spreaders ripping it badly. She is still rigged wrong with no reefs set up. She was a mess. We cleaned her up and took her out in about 10 knots of wind. I had her trucking right along with the rail in the water no problem (to Matt's surprise), but the genoa lines definitely need to go outside of the shrouds.

I will be tough to get a hold of tomorrow, as I am in FL taking care of my Mom and will fly back tomorrow. I'll try to call when I return to work Thurs. Also be happy to take you sailing on my boat and shoot the breeze. I have been down in FL for most of the month and am dying to get out on the water ASAP. Also, I live in Northborough and work in Marlborough (you said you are in Central MA), so if that is convenient we can hook up after work nearby (if it isn't sailing weather of course).

She is a solid starter boat, very roomy, dry inside and stable compared to a smaller boat, however her performance in very light air is hampered by the 100% jib. She could use a larger headsail in the light summer air prevalent in Boston Harbor. I told Matt to do what I did...sail her and have fun...as nobody will have more fun per dollar than you on that boat.

I sold her because my Wife told me in no uncertain terms that buying a $3000 trailer for her was out of the question. I planned to do so to reduce my annual sailing costs, which with her, was mostly the annual winter storage bill. I told her she was being unreasonable, as the $3000 would be recouped in two years. She said that she didn't have to be reasonable...so reasoning that it was only going to cost me $300/year more in winter storage I bought my 30 footer :D instead. It was my original game plan to cut my teeth on Solara. I figured that if I couldn't sail and care for her I didn't deserve to buy better. But I could and I did so there you have it.
The previous owner pretty much went the same route...only he traded her on a Catalina 30 and then moved up to a Hunter 37 Cutter.

Matt doesn't have the battery connected properly. The running lights on deck work, but as I recall, neither the steaming light nor the anchor light are working. I replaced the main halyard about three years ago and the bilge pump and wiring two years ago. I also redid a bunch of terminations at the panel that looked flaky. The solar panel is a god send on a mooring and it works well. I replaced the tiller about three years ago and put about six coats of varnish on it, but it is time for a few more. I bought the 8hp Evinrude used three years ago after someone swiped my Johnson 9.9. It is extremely reliable. I rebuilt the water pump when I bought it (better safe than sorry) and converted it to remote controls.

No real problems with the hull/deck other than what is visible, although at the price I never went hunting for wet deck core. I'd expect some given her age and condition. The previous owner dealt with some delamintion in the keel (not unusual in a boat with an integral keel) and then barrier coated her about ten years ago. I saw no subsequent problems and couldn't even find the repair, although you may if you strip the pettit hydrocoat ablative on her...she is close to needing that done and would benefit from it. There are a few small pits around her waterline the size of a pencil eraser. She was left in the water for an extended period of time before I got her and I think she had some barnacles that took some gelcoat with them when they came off. After watching her for a few seasons I raised the waterline an inch or so to stop a skirt of weed she kept growing and it seemed to do the trick.

I never recaulked the chain plates and they are likely due. The jib had some repairs (due to a screw up) and has plenty of life left in it. The main he has on it is short. I'd get the original fixed or buy a new one. New sails for her would do wonders and would be about $1200-1500.

Its a shame that Matt didn't make a go of her. I hope you do better.

Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
We've got trouble. Danny is going to potentially give us a hard time. I usually watch marine forecasts on www.bostonharbor.com as well as the local weather on weather.com. At this point things are pretty vague, but if it looks like we will get sustained winds of 50mph I will remove my sails to reduce windage and make sure all my lines are secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.