Anyone have any idea what these are??

Jan 1, 2021
Paceship PY23 otsego lake
F374C533-5081-4754-BB29-5A205209F57D.jpeg
A8EF3C92-16BC-4E2B-B01D-BE463B4925EE.jpeg
20F1D6FA-8683-4E0F-8714-2699FCC48343.jpeg

Instead of a forestay I have this. It appears to be a furling foil but there is no drum etc.. Any idea what this is??

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The forestay is inside the foil.

I think it would be unusual for a C-22 to have a foil for the jib, but there is no accounting for what PO's think or do. It does not appear to be a furler. Racing sailors often use foils on the head stay instead of hanked on sails. This may be a foil for that purpose.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Looks like a conversion from a hanked on jib to a jib with a luff rope, but no furling mechanism.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like a conversion from a hanked on jib to a jib with a luff rope, but no furling mechanism.
:plus:
It gives you the ability to use a sail without hanks (one that has luff tape designed for use in a furler.)

More sails are designed and built for furler’s than with hanks. This would apply especially for the high end sails.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Racing headstay foils normally have 2 slots to make sail changes more efficient.
Thanks for the info guys, now to see how to make this thing work
If you do a little research.... try "headsail foils for sailboats"... you will find products, illustrations and instructional articles. The foil encases the forestay, you can easily detect the connections in the pics. The sail's "tape" is inserted into the guide, near the base, and hoisted with the halyard. The advantage of the foil setup is better aerodynamics. Twin slots or grooves in the foil allow the crew to hoist a replacement sail before dousing the existing one... which means the boat always has power during the sail change.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Mostly on a 22 foot boat the foil makes it harder to set and douse the sail and increases the chance that the sail will go overboard over a hanked on foresail. You may get a better selection of used headsails to use (but you can put hanks on any sail). I've raised my foil retained jib on the 356 by myself but it was a PITA. I wouldn't want to do it for every daysail. Without a furler I would lose the foil.