Anyone have a below deck autopilot on a P36-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2005
Pearson 36-2 Ocean,NJ
Hope everyone's having a great season.

My boat came with an Autohelm 4000 wheel pilot that isn't functioning properly. When I looked at Raymarine's current offerings it appears the wheel pilots aren't suitable for the 36-2 displacement. So I'm thinking about replacing the autopilot wih one using a linear drive mounted directly to the rudder post. Has anyone installed one on a 36-2 or similar Pearson?Any suggestions or advice?

PS I'm looking at the Raymarine because it would integrate with other Ray instruments and C80.

C

Cpt. Bob

autopilot...

I have a Pearson 36 ( 1985 ) and it came with a Autohelm 5000 that gave up on us two years ago.. We were lost with out it and thought maybe we could go with a wheel set up.. ( to save a few bucks ) After being on other boats with a wheel set up we went with the Autohelm 6000 and love it.. Best to have it installed by the yard because there is a mount that needs to be built and you have someone to fall back on if its not done right..

Nov 25, 2005
Pearson 36-2 Ocean,NJ
Re: autopilot...

Thanks for the reply! So do you you have the mechanical linear drive? Where is it mounted? Any chance you have a picture of the mount you could post?

I bought a system at the Annapolis show. I will be installing an S1 computer (hooked to my existing rate gyro) and linear drive. I already put an Edson tiller (bored to 3.450") on the rudder post. I was getting ready to build a mounting platform on the starboard side attached to the side, transom and "floor" of the hull using mahogany, biaxial glass and West epoxy. I did some practice lay ups at home but the temperature has now dropped to the point that I am concerned about the epoxy curing properly. I am waiting till an extended warm spell or spring to make sure conditions are right.

I will try to post some pictures when I get far enough along.

Status
Not open for further replies.