Anyone going out?

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
I know there's not a rule against it, but is anyone going out and staying at anchor or anything? Seems a bit odd given the circumstances but it would be good to get out of the house for a few days. Maybe having to pump out would be the only risk of even coming in to contact with anyone. Or if something happened I guess Vessel Assist or the Coast Guard. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why not? Good social distancing. A friend wrote this morning that they have cancelled boating in San Diego. Egads...why?

My marina has liveabords, no dock security gates. They could say "just don't show up unless you live on your boat" but that would be hard. Currently recommending 2 metre separation. Easy to do.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Maryland’s DNR interpreted the stay-at-home order by placing a ban on recreational boating.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
New York State Executive Order has directed all marinas (including those privately
owned) be closed for recreational purposes.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
... A friend wrote this morning that they have cancelled boating in San Diego. Egads...why?
Just started this morning in San Diego.
FAQ
If I have a boat on the water, (at a mooring, marina, etc.) can I go out on it, fish, sail, etc? / Is kayaking/stand up paddle boarding on San Diego Bay permitted?
Per the County’s amended public health order, boating for recreational purposes, watersports, or swimming are prohibited on or in public waterways and at beaches. This order is effective as of 12 a.m., Saturday, April 4, 2020 until further notice. Therefore, San Diego Bay is closed to recreation – including boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, and recreational fishing – until further notice.
Remember, the State and San Diego County public health directives during the COVID-19 crisis are for all of us to stay at home. The only exceptions are essential needs. These orders allow public agencies, including law enforcement, to focus resources on protecting public health and safety during this global health and economic crisis.
We understand this isn’t welcome news – we hope it will be for a short duration. In fact, the more we all follow the stay-at-home orders, the sooner we can get back to “normal.” These are challenging times for us all, and the Port appreciates the public’s patience and understanding as we all work together to keep each other healthy and well and to flatten the curve.
Note: Those who continue to participate in recreation on San Diego Bay should be prepared to be stopped and questioned by Port of San Diego Harbor Police. Law enforcement, including Harbor Police, is prepared to issue citations for violations of the State and County stay-at-home orders. Those citations carry a maximum fine of up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in jail.
Posted 4/3/2020
What if I want to go out to the ocean? Will I be allowed to leave? Will I be allowed to come back? What about my right of passage?
At this time, the channel is not closed, but be prepared to be stopped and questioned by Harbor Police. Law enforcement, including Harbor Police, is prepared to issue citations for violations of the State and County stay-at-home orders. Those citations carry a maximum fine of up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in jail.
Per the State’s stay-at-home order, and consistent with the County of San Diego’s amended public health order, only essential activities are allowed. Water recreation is not considered an essential activity.
Note: This does not apply to those conducting essential commercial activity or to those seeking service at a designated critical infrastructure boat yard.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks. I talked to a live aboard friend, he said a few people are going out. But randomly checking the Elliot Bay Marina web cam throughout the day, definitely doesn't look like there are any non-commercial boats out.

I'm not exactly a risk taker, maybe I'll just sit this one out.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just got back after a week on the water around the islands. Very quiet, few boats and nice weather to boot. Had a great several hour sail back home in a WNW steady 13-15 wind. Even sailed the ditch, but with a 180 point of sail, took a few tack changes because of the snake like waterway after the fixed twin bridges. Fuel dock was open at Cap Sante.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Decided to go out, currently at Blakely Harbor, and definitely not alone, almost as many boats as the summer here today.

@Terry Cox Nice luck on the wind for the return trip, usually the wind turns south the same time I do!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..............but is anyone going out and staying at anchor or anything?..........
Just going down the boat to make some minor upgrades, perform maintenance and sailing in the bay and back with my wife while social distancing with the few marina neighbors that are there. No plans to anchor because we do not want to dinghy to shore to walk our dog and impose on other marinas, which might be closed to transient boats/visitors.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. Sailed on Easter. Single handed or household members only crew. I guess the danger is that you might get into trouble and need to be rescued. Seems minor compared to just going to grocery store.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
No plans to anchor because we do not want to dinghy to shore to walk our dog and impose on other marinas, which might be closed to transient boats/visitors.
It's just the us two people these days, no dog anymore, but that would have definitely altered any anchoring plans. We ended up staying 4 days, the limit of our holding tank, and then back to home base. May do the same this weekend but agree on avoiding going ashore or to marinas.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The San Juans are saying stay home. No mooring, docking, or anchoring in the islands. Not sure if authorities are checking. I know the coast guard has broken up rafting in Eagle Hbr and elsewhere...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Went for a day sail on Tuesday; single hand. Only one other sailboat on east side of Lake Pontchartrain and a few power boats. Local Sheriff's office marine patrol out making their usual run. Nice day to be on the water. Tried to initialize new evolution wheel pilot, unsuccessfully. Plan to give it another attempt after reading instructions again!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Went for a day sail on Tuesday.........
Also went for a nice sail on Tuesday with my wife sailing with 5 knots increasing to 12 knots mid-afternoon and mid-70's temperature and sunny.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
The San Juans are saying stay home. No mooring, docking, or anchoring in the islands. Not sure if authorities are checking. I know the coast guard has broken up rafting in Eagle Hbr and elsewhere...
There wasn't anyone rafting in Blakely but I did see a few patrol boats swing by, I assumed that was one of the things they were looking for. Not that I would do it but obviously some people don't care.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We had snow yesterday in Chicago area, and more expected tomorrow.

my marina was closed (I actually pulled my boat out of the water because they would not give me access after I splashed her)....

But yesterday, I got an email saying that they are going to open this Saturday!

So, I will get her back in the water next week, get the sails bent on and be ready for my first sail of the [very strange] 2020 sailing season:dancing:

Greg