Anyone foam-filled their 170 mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Hi 170 sailors, I've had my 170 for five months and love it. Great boat! I've pushed her in moderate to relatively heavy winds with jib and main, to main alone, to reefed main and love her responsiveness through it all. Wondering though (in the event of a knockdown) if foam-filling my mast might offer greater piece of mind... Has anyone out there had this done? If so, who generally does this --can it be a do-it-yourself job?, where do you get the materials, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Full sails, Mike G. Alachua, FL

Jun 4, 2004
Macgregor 26X ABQ
Mast Float

Everyone that I know has put the Hobie Mast float on their 170. I put one on mine and capsized once. It took me no time to right the boat and get back to sailing. I'm not crazy about the looks, but the $120 (installed)it cost me was well worth not having to dig the mast out of the mud bottom of the lake.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Thanks re: Hobie float

Thanks S. Cohen, I've heard the Hobie float is a great option. I think my Windex 10 windvane atop the mast would preclude my mounting of a Hobie football though, so hope someone (potentially a keelboat owner?) will ring in with their experiences of DIY mast-foaming. Thanks again for your advice. Mike G.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Hobie float

I used to be self-conscious about mine...well, sort of; I'd be more self-conscious if I was treading water with my mast buried in the mud. But then someone asked me if it was some kind of weather station on top of the mast! For whatever reason, after that, it no longer bothered me. Besides, after you've answered the daily question "but doesn't water come into the boat through the transom?" you've forgotten all about the float....

Jun 8, 2004
- - Owensboro, KY
Pros and Cons

I was having the same thoughts after reading all the capsizing stories. Ran into a series of articles at www.sailingscuttlebutt.com. If you'll click on their archived newsletters then read an article entitled "Safety" in the Scuttlebutt #1561 (April 14th). From there go to the #1564 issue and read "Letters to the Curmudgeon" for the next several issues looking for the letters regarding foam filling the mast. You'll find pro's and con's on this issue. Personally it made me decide not to foam fill mine.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Thanks, Edwin

Thanks Edwin. I'm going to check out the links that you suggest. Always nice to learn of new 'sailing sites'. Lots of info out there. Best, Mike G.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Hobie float a.k.a. Doppler Radome?

Dick, Pretty humorous re: the some sort of weather station on top of your mast question! Yeah, the open transom one must be the most frequent comment I get regarding my 170. Best- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.