Anyone ever tried

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Thought there was a post about this a while back, but can't locate it. Has anyone used one of the headlight restore kits on a compass globe. Mine is getting kinda hazy, and hard to read at night.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Thought there was a post about this a while back, but can't locate it. Has anyone used one of the headlight restore kits on a compass globe. Mine is getting kinda hazy, and hard to read at night.
Phil try doing it the same way Mainsail does the gel coat buffing ....but test it on the foward side where you dont look through it anyway and use very slow speed on you buffer......you may even try pearl drops tooth polish as the compound...or the 3M polishing compound that comes in the plastic bottle ...cant think of the name of it now but will go down to the boat later and check it for you ....but rember to use slow buffing speed and be patient and keep it damp.......hope this helps.....1 other thing i use flitz polishing paste a few weeks back to polish out the haze on my buddys dodger glass/plastic or what ever it is and it did a great job in bringing it back to good vision......back in the 2 wheel days i used simi chrome polish in a tube to do the wind sheilds on the police motors as the city was to cheep to buy new ones but would pay the labor bill go figuer.....

regards

woody

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
I just used Meguiar's PlastX clear plastic cleaner& polish on the compass globe and dodger windows ,depth gauge and even GPS screen with great results. you can buy it at any auto parts store or china-mart (wal-mart).

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
FWIW, it is very worthwhile to cover the compass and instruments when your not there. I learned the same way.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Anything done by hand will be a LOT better than a machine for this kind of work.

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
Another trick is ti make a soft paste from baking soda and water. A jeweler taught me this trick to remove scratches from watches and polish tjhe face ..

As mentioned aboave try a test spot on front of globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.