Anyone ever see anything like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
So I have had my 1984 Hunter 27 for a year and a half. Last week when I was getting ready to wash her I found a nice brush deep in cockpit locker. We used it and I started to notice it was leaving a chalky residue. Being first time boat owner, I thought this great brush was removing some of the years of built up oxidation. I took the boat in for a bottom job and returned to it today and it has turned like a tie dye purple. I am now thinking that brush may have had a paint thinner type chemical or something on it. Who would put such a chemical on a long handled wash brush???? Anyway, I am hoping some one recognizes this look and can tell me what risk I run not fixing it ASAP or what would be the best fix financially. Not sure I have the time or facility to paint myself. I noticed the awl grip didn't seem to be affected. Maybe awl grip it all? My stuffing box started leaking like a sieve after the haul out and think most my money will go into having a drip less installed since I have serious access issues. The boat was splashed last night and by noon today I had about four inches of water in the cabin. This is supposed to be a 5 year learning boat, but the money I am sinking (literally) into it, might need to hold on a lot longer. Any advice much appreciated. I am sure I forgot this and that detail, but more than happy to provide more. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
You may want to learn how to repack the shaft seal, not that hard. The packing dries out when the boat is hauled then leaks when it is splashed. Not expensive and part of the learning process.

The purple is interesting , you may want to try some Brite White tire cleaner in a small area and see if it makes it go away.

Jim

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
You may want to learn how to repack the shaft seal, not that hard. The packing dries out when the boat is hauled then leaks when it is splashed. Not expensive and part of the learning process.

The purple is interesting , you may want to try some Brite White tire cleaner in a small area and see if it makes it go away.

Jim
Thanks, I will possibly try the Brite White. As far as repacking, at 602/260 I can reach it, but not sure I can really do more than that. That is why I am considering having someone install the dripless. Maybe to save some money, I will pay someone to repack? But honestly with my size and flexibility, I would be retired before it's finished. Maybe I should take up yoga :redface:

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
What did the gel coat look like prior to the cleaning? Was it all chalky in the first place? If so, you might consider buffing out the finish or even wet sanding it. As with the other suggestion, you could try wet sanding a small area to see what happens.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
What did the gel coat look like prior to the cleaning? Was it all chalky in the first place? If so, you might consider buffing out the finish or even wet sanding it. As with the other suggestion, you could try wet sanding a small area to see what happens.
It was very chalky white and I thought that is what was coming off. I think its weird it didn't damage the non-skid.:confused:

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
I guess my question would be for any fiberglass know it all's. If I don't do anything other that stare at this nightmare, will it cause any further damage.

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
The gelcoat pores are stained. TSP and bleach in a bucket of water will take it out.
Wet-sanding is a good idea after that, and it'll gloss up nice, but it's too much like work for me. ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37C McCormick, SC
Ditto with Joe, exactly what I was about to say. use a fine grit on the DA, and polish with compound first then gloss polish a couple of times. My stern looks great.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
And don't even THINK about AwlGrip, unless you have plans to hang onto the boat for a LONG time.

The last quart I bought, with spray reducer and catalyst, ran $225.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
The gelcoat pores are stained. TSP and bleach in a bucket of water will take it out.
Wet-sanding is a good idea after that, and it'll gloss up nice, but it's too much like work for me. ;)
Thanks Joe! Just want to clarify and not assume TSP is tri-sodium Phosphate all purpose cleaner??? If so, what ratio would I mix? Do I need to scrub with a brush? Then I think I will plan on wet sanding. I will do some more research on that :) Big thank you!

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
New GTU or GFO packing = ~ $20

Pint of Acetone and some clean rags = ~ $20.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
New GTU or GFO packing = ~ $20

Pint of Acetone and some clean rags = ~ $20.
Thanks Caleb, I agree with the packing. How to access it is the problem. Maybe an 8 year old with mechanic skills ?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
It was very chalky white and I thought that is what was coming off. I think its weird it didn't damage the non-skid.:confused:
The non skid looks like a different kind of paint, so it may have a completely different reaction entirely to UV, chemicals, etc. If you want the surface to be less susceptible to this problem, without repainting entirely I think maybe a little elbow grease will be necessary to remove gel coat down to the point where the surface can be buffed, polished and waxed. I wet sanded my deck, probably less aggressively than others might and the result is that I have a surface that is easier to keep clean.
Is this absolutely necessary? No, but I was embarrassed that people would sit on the foredeck and end up with a patch of white on their rear ends.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Are you close to a power plant? Depending on which way the wind blows soot gets into the oxidized geal coat. This is just one possibility but a wet sanding with 800 or 1000 grit paper will cure it then wax to apply a protective coat and then pretty soon just wax again. Just some of the fun of maintaining a boat.

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Thanks Joe! Just want to clarify and not assume TSP is tri-sodium Phosphate all purpose cleaner??? If so, what ratio would I mix? Do I need to scrub with a brush? Then I think I will plan on wet sanding. I will do some more research on that :) Big thank you!
A handful of phosphate in a couple gallons of water, plus maybe a half-cup of bleach. Use your rubber kitchen gloves, unless you have nicotine stains you'd like to get off.
I slop it on with a sponge, let it "soak", then give it a scrubbing with a deck brush. The oxidizing and "lifting" are chemical reactions, so vigorous scrubbing isn't necessary.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Are you close to a power plant? Depending on which way the wind blows soot gets into the oxidized geal coat. This is just one possibility but a wet sanding with 800 or 1000 grit paper will cure it then wax to apply a protective coat and then pretty soon just wax again. Just some of the fun of maintaining a boat.
No active power plants but we are directly under the flight path of the Portland International Airport. The planes taking off fly directly over head. Interesting!

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
I used to sit under the Vancouver international airport runway and what a mess. Used Oxyclean in a bucket. Really works

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I think Joe and Lost have solved my dilemma of the cost of Starbright hull cleaner. But man does it work! After an extended cruise on the river it took off the tannin stain in seconds with little scrubbing.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
We will see! My fingers are crossed. Will have to wait til the end of the week til I can try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.