Anyone ever rerget their C22 purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
"The two biggest advantages in the 25 (for me) are a more convenient head and wider side decks. The wider decks make it a bit easier to get on the foredeck and having more space for the head speaks for itself"

You need to checkout a MK-II wing keeled version of the C-22. Still retains the ease and simplicity of trailering and rigging of the C-22 with no need for a larger vehicle, retains the affordability of the C-22,(i.e. sails, hardware, outboard, etc), but with the wider MK-II hull, and re-designed interior, they offer much more room. Going forward is a breeze with the huge forward hatch.

It's just my wife and I cruising, and we've turned the V-berth area into an enclosed head and luggage storage area. Very long, wide, and comfortable quarter berths for sleeping, and easily holds 8 in the salon for cocktails.

Don

Attachments

Jan 13, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Champlain
Right now, I'm not very happy.

To tarp for winter, I have to pull the stern safety rails and side rails. The bow rails stay. You know the drill. The mast becomes the tarp ridge-pole - the safety lines must be pulled. So I pull all but the last allen set-screws and the last one is stripped. I try drilling and see the screws are also stainless and tough as diamonds. Snapped two 1/8" bits and decided to sawzall the post off flush to the mount/bracket. No fine tooth blade in the box. It wasn't pretty, but I prevailed - if you don't count bodily injury.

The stub remains afixed to the stanchion - flush so there's no purchase point.

I figure a half-pound of C4 next to the fuel tank and battery would be the right spot.

DanKo

Jun 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Syracuse
Right now, I'm not very happy.

To tarp for winter, I have to pull the stern safety rails and side rails. The bow rails stay.
Novice question, because I'm going to tarp mine in a week or so: why do you need to remove the rails and lifelines?

Q22

Aug 18, 2013
Catalina 22 Bucks Lake
I looked at taking those out I'm afraid of leaks. I tied a thick sock over the top of each post and put on the best tarp I could get off the internet. Maybe I shoulda zip tied pipe insulation a little longer than the post on each one still trying to figure this out myself.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Novice question, because I'm going to tarp mine in a week or so: why do you need to remove the rails and lifelines?
We're just south of the snow belt and our boat is in that back yard. I've never removed the rails and lifelines. Before I cover with a the 20x30 ft tarp, I put a short section of one of those cheapy water noodles at the top of each of the 4 lifeline posts to prevent the tarp from stretching. Also, If the snow starts piling up, I knock it off from inside. That has pretty much prevented the lifeline posts from getting bent.
One thing I'd recommend is to put a section of 2X4 under the mast above the step plate. I also string rope back and forth across the top (under the tarp) to prevent sags in the tarp if any snow accumulates.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Having owned a 22, a 25 and now the 30. You may want to start with the 25.
The 22 was fun, deft and agile, easy to tow, but not enough boat to get serious.
I sometimes look to get another 25, only because I could trailer to places that take too long to sail to, and the boat offers enough room to be comfortable. It is incredibly easy to launch and retrive, and trailered extremly well. With 4550 lbs of displacement sailed well, and felt much more solid and formidable.
That being said the 25 was still a bit too confining for us, and looked at the 27's but knew better then just do the twozies and jumped into a 30.
Now however, the new 315 are looking real nice, same layout as the 30, but just a bit bigger. With alot of amennities.
The only problem with the new 315 for me is someone else will to sail one for a few years until it gets into my price range.
Good Luck, and have fun looking for your boat. Don't get frustrated with buyers fatigue. Take your time, you'll know the right when you find it.

Jan 13, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Champlain
In my neck of the woods, snow, and lots of it, would be trapped in the "pool" that would inevitably form - between the mast "ridge" - and the lifelines. The weight on those "pools" of wet snow and accumulating rain and snow would put a stress on the lifelines and tarp I'm not willing to even think about.

It takes ten minutes to pull the stanchions and lifeline cable (in most cases - not mine) - but the angle of the tarp from mast - which rests on the bow pulpit and gudgeon mounted "roller" rig I travel with - that locates the mast about 6" above the rear pulpit -would be so severe, no water or snow could accumulate.

Here in northern VT, we already have an inch or two on the ground:eek:

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I have also owned a C22, C25 & now a C 30. They are all good boats, but built
for to a cheaper price point the smaller they get. I have found the C22 to be a good daysailer only. A few whacks in you head when down below & you'll likely agree.
The C 25 is slightly better, but is really just a slightly enlarged C 22. The C 27 & 30 are really classic designs that have stood the test of time & durability & sailability. It's hard to put a price in solidity, but it's nice to sail a boat that doesn't round up or want to capsize after a stiff gust of wind blows.
You may not appreciate overnighting in a sailboat until you've stayed on board a boat that's large enough to stretch out on & enjoy cooking, grilling, having a sundowner in the cockpit, etc. When it comes to boats, I do believe that bigger is better, but over 30 feet is really just a waste of money. But to each their own, I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.